Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

stand on debate

[B]I am looking for a compact stand on mower to add to my fleet, and would like to hear from anyone who has made such a purchase. I'm really debating on a 34" Gravely Pro-stance, or one of the 36" Wright standers Important qualities to me are ease of controls, cut quality, ease of maintenance, and operator comfort. Thanks for any feedback!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had one of the original Wright Standers. I was maxed out and working on my own. Most of my lawns were (sold business) around 1/4 acre. I added 15 more lawns to my week. We mowed mostly St. Augustine in FL which grows several inches in a weeks. The stander became a primary mower, instead of my 60 inch. I was very fast and could handle ANYTHING, while still cutting nice and even. I also had a Great Dane 52 inch. It could handle the work load, but it had problems with clumping due to a small opening in the deck.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I got a 52 inch Everride Fx and would recommend it. If you can find one for sale you can steal them under the right circumstances. I agree with logan, this is my main mower and the stand ons can handle anything!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been looking over some stand-ons myself, and I really want a small one perhaps the 34" Gravely, but I haven't pulled the trigger cuz I don't like the fixed deck on the smaller units.... Are there any Float deck 34" models out there?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have 2 52" Great Danes and 4 52" wright Standers all of them with fixed decks. The Danes are faster in the open and the Wrights are better on the slopes. The cut is about the same. I do prefer the Wrights controls over the Danes though much easier.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

36 inch Stander

We own a 36 inch stander and like it. However, 2 things two consider. Check the operator platform before buying. Our stander has a fixed platform and it is very hard on you on rougher lawns. Also, the design of the Wright has the right caster wheel off set (back) so the mower does not handle hills well at all. If you are driving with the right side on the bottom of the hill the mower wants to fall off.

When we buy another 36 inch mower we will consider a Grandstand. We own 2 52 inch grandstands and love them. Check out the 36 inch grandstand. It has a floating operator platform and the casters are not offset.

The 36 inch Stander may have been upgraded to have a floating platform. Then it's only weakness would be the offset casters and hills.

Tags
gravely , stander , wright , zero turn