Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Removing Large Areas of English Ivy

Hey All,
I am looking for some help on best way to remove large areas of English Ivy. Three areas are about 30 Ft. by 50 feet.
I was thinking that I would spray with strongest roundup available then a week later try to remove ivy. For the removal I am not sure whether to rent a tiller or a walk behind Dingo. What do you guys think would be the best way to do the job?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A garden rake and pruners.

Wait two to three weeks though, you'll get a better kill that way and hopefully the roots will have broken down just a tad, so you can pull it easier.

Don't use a tiller, your asking for problems with wrapping the ivy around the tines.

What is the plan for the area after you kill it off?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Where are you located?

Depending on where you are, you may be able to get a BOXER mini-skid from The Home Depot. They have an array of attachments that will eat it up. Personally, I would posion is prescribed then just tear it out with a bucket.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

dont use the tiller

He is right... You will be cleaning tines every 2 minutes. Use a bucket and just take the top layer of dirt and roots with you.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I just sprayed the areas really good with roundup.
I think that I will hit it again in a week.
Then wait another week or so and then get Ding with bucket and scrape top layer away.
In the fall I am bringing in some new top soil and then planting grass.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dingo is overkill, what are you planning on doing to the bed after the ivy is gone.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't needed to try it yet, but my local lesco told me you need a chemical with diquat in it (razor burn).They said that glyphosate (roundup) can't penatrate the waxy leaves to get to the actually plant. You need the diquat to burn thru the waxy part tnen the gly can work.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Coach,
Do you have a heavy-good running line trimmer?? We have taken our commercial line trimmers with 0.95 line, using face shield or safety glasses and went through a bed.
It takes out about 80% to the nub. Rake out the remains......put in a bag and sell to someone for cuttings. Diquat Dibromide(Reward) is pricey so be aware. Razor Burn which is Glyophosate and Diquat combined will speed up the kill rate. Diquat is a quick contact herbicide and the gly is slower. The leaves will be effected usually in 24 hours after spraying with good kill in a week.
We run a front tine tiller after the majority of the ivy is cut down and raked out. Rake again to get the nodes and runner.........root balls too. Make sure you are aware of irrigation pipes, water lines, electrical-utility lines buried nearby--- always....!!!!!!!
After all is cleared and leveled back out, respray any shoots that should come back in a couple of weeks. You will eventually get all the ivy but it will take time.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Think Green for the second time today. You can tell who has experience in landscaping and who doesn't. Line trimmers and a face shield will do the trick in about 1 hour and then another to clean up. I would skip the gly and just seed if you need to. If you take it all the way down to the ground it will not come back.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing a similar job and I use brush killer wait a week, brush killer/round up/diquat wait a week, rip it out with skid, spray roundup/surflan (water it in or surflan won't work) then wait a week, topsoil grade seed straw. some say overkill i say no ivy and green grass in a month. i've done many this way. better safe than a rep as a hack who can't kill ivy!