Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2002, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Drive 75 on crabgrass? Any pointers?

I am in Minnesota and it seems like every client has the same question? What about my crab grass? So I am looking for a way of spot spraying with a backpack sprayer as most cases seem to be isolated at least for now.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drive works very well on crabgrass. It's quick and it doesnt cause the plant to turn purple - making it even more unattractive. Your probably better off to spot treat with a backpack. The product is expensive & can become very costly to tank mix.

Rob
Old 07-31-2002, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Rob, I noticed the price was kind of out there but I think if it works I can get a premium for the service. any other recommendations I am all ears.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was so dry here a week ago that the Crabs weren't dying quickly enough for some folks. Recent heavy rains helped, but soil moisture is declining already.

Moral: When treating Crabs in heavily drought stressed lawns, don't promise any miracles. Drive is an excellent post emergent herbicide, but it can't eradicate weeds that aren't growing.

Don't forget a MCO or a quality spreader/sticker.

Steve
Old 08-07-2002, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What is MCO?
Old 08-07-2002, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Methylated Crop Oil seen on the label as methylated seed oil.

Any of many crop oils used as a spreader. More common spreader/stickers also "spread" the material out by lowering surface tension like soap. But most also contain "sticking agents" that prevents the herbicide from washing off with rain or irrigation. Drive75 can set up a pre-emergent barrier if it get's washed off the foliage after treatment. That barrier can last for 3 or 4 weeks. If the residual stays on the foliage because of a sticker, then the barrier doesn't form as well.

We don't sell MCO's (agriculture suppliers have it though). Yet I've gotten not a single complaint about Drive's performance. Most of my customers are using a standard non-ionic surfactant or spreader/sticker without incident.

Steve
Old 08-08-2002, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Tremor. Interesting. So, very few people are applying Drive for it's Pre-M properties?
Old 08-08-2002, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems that's the case. Post is the biggest concern around here. Drive is fast replacing Acclaim as the crab-post of choice.

According to my BASF rep, the barrier will still set up, but it will take a little longer. It hasn't been out so long that I can honestly say we've seen local side by side tests.

But with the drought conditions upon us here now, I'd say it doesn't matter much anyway. Crabs that are up do well in a drought, but there won't be many new ones germinating.

Steve
Old 08-08-2002, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the process of a test right now. It has been dry and I have been watching a nice patch of crabgrass in my backyard. I let it grow very large. I took a picture of it in all its glory and then I gave it a drink of Drive 75.
I am waiting for the pictures to be developed. The crabgrass is toast. This one did turn purple and brown on the seedheads. One thing is for sure, its dead. We did get 1/2 of rain about 2 days after the application. I know that is important according to the label.
Pricey stuff but really worth it if you have a problem.

I'll post results in a different thread.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Why isn't there a granular product for crabgrass or broadleaf weeds that is systemic? Doesn't Merit work by being sucked up into the grass? Why can't they make a granular Drive?
Just wondering out loud.