Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2002, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

chem app left to professionals only

I'm seeing more and more chemicals either being banned, mis-used or discontinued due to bad science or misuse. Why can't we, as a professional industry go to the manufacture's such as DOW and demand that they make all the chemical apps only availabe to liscensed trade pro. Take the chemicals away from the mom and pop nursery. Take away the chemicals away from the chain stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Orchard Supply Hardware(sears). I would think this would be a way to stop misuse by a lot of people.

I do realize it would take sales away from chem companies and would raise our prices to purchase. Then on the other hand, we as liscensed chem applicators would be able to pass on the extra costs on to our clients.

Let's demand that chemicals be taken away from the general public. Do you think it would work? Lets here some thoughts on this.

John
Old 08-05-2002, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to tell you this but the chems sold in store we are less than 5% of the purchesers.

For the rest we are still far less than 50%, so as a business desision it would be bad biz for them to do this.

I hear you though.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just think we are at this crossroad where strict control of use is required. It's the only way I see that a chemical won't be banned just because of 1 bad enviormental report, which was based on bad science. Case in point, toulane(sp) which was used for termite control. This chem is still widely used in other countries and the negative effects that were stated to the epa, which caused a madatory de-listing for the U.S. and Canada, have never occurred.
John
Old 08-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Banned

This has to do with something called a risk cup analysis. Chemical companies used to take a hypothetical cup for each chemical and figure out how it can get in contact with people. That didn't work because they were viewing each chemical as a separate entity. Now what they have done, is instead of a cup for each chemical, they use 1 cup for all of the chemicals. So now they alot a given portion of the cup for Merit, and for Mach 2, and Dylox, and a bunch of others. This is why they remove a lot of chemicals from circulation.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

taking the chemicals wouldnt do any good if you run into an idiot like i did last year this old guy was spraying diesel fuel on a lakefront to kill weeds
Old 08-07-2002, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In this politically correct, hyper-sensitive, instant news world we live in, why would DOW or any other chemical company risk their brand name? DOW could have fought the Dursban thing, but with all the cranky press, it wasn't worth the millions of dollars to reregister it. Btw-when we all went to Dursban Pro a few years ago, they were still using Dursban 2E in Canada, which I considered a better product even if it did smell a litle more. I don't have the time or interest but I'm sure somewhere in this world DDT and Chlordane are still being used.