Register free!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Captiva St Augustine

Has anyone had any experience with Captiva?

We are doing a test with a client and recently installed about 3K sq feet of it on their property.

So far, this is what we've found....
Heat tolerance - Consistent heat indexes over 100F doesn't seem to affect it.

Shade tolerance - Seems to grow faster/taller in the shade. No noticeable thinning yet.

Drought tolerance - Undetermined yet. The sod was installed 7 weeks ago and rains have been steady since. In fact, most days we've had some pretty huge downpours. October is the beginning of the dry season here so we'll see then how it does.

Rate of growth - In full sun, it is a much slower compared to Floratan needing to be cut every 15 days. Under current conditions, irrigated, fertilized Floratan properties could use every 5 days mowing.

Height of cut - All the literature I've read on it recommends a low cut between 2-3 inches. So far, we've found it looks best at 4-4.25 inches.

I have to say I'm most impressed with this turf so far. It has a much deeper green than Floratan. It is lush (thick) and much, much smoother also -- a pleasure to walk on it barefoot.

Any input from you guys?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody???

Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its bred for the heat.
It grows fast or longer due to the cells stretching to get the most light.
Mowing height you stated is best. Plus this keeps the soil covers so few weeds sprout.
As for being a darker green, that is genetic. But you can even make it darker with some magnesium.
Pest and fungi resistance to be determined.

Great grass!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks dK. With all the rain we've been getting I've noticed a small section with Greyleaf fungus.

Nothing major but will keep an eye on it.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We had lots of rain here too. Here's something for that fungus.Two tablespoons of baking soda per gallon of water will halt it in its tracks and any other fungus that tries to bother the lawn. Just use a backpack sprayer, makes it real easy. You don't have to soak the ground, just make it damp and the grass blades wet. Then let it dry.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
We had lots of rain here too. Here's something for that fungus.Two tablespoons of baking soda per gallon of water will halt it in its tracks and any other fungus that tries to bother the lawn. Just use a backpack sprayer, makes it real easy. You don't have to soak the ground, just make it damp and the grass blades wet. Then let it dry.
Does this work on cool weather grasses too?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Two tablespoons of baking soda per gallon of water will halt it in its tracks and any other fungus that tries to bother the lawn.

Good tip dK. I've heard of it before, although I've yet to try it.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have not seen or even heard of the new strain of Captiva St Augustine turf. I'm keenly interested in knowing how it will tolerate the cooler weather. Since I'm in Zone 9 I don't think freezing is a hazard but temps in the mid to low 40's overnight are possible for extended periods.

I don't install Floratam because it is extremely sensitive to herbicide treatment and just fussy all around. I've had some good sucess with Seville in shady spots but overall I just install the generic.

Please keep me posted on the performance of the Captiva and how it responds to pest control and dryer conditions. I'd also be interested in knowing how well it competes in terms of pricing; I pay about $80.00 for a pallet (app. 500sqf) now.

FYI... I agree with you on the height of the cut; 2-3" is low for a centipede grass particularly in the FL sun. I generally cut @ 4-4.25" when hot & dry and 3.5-3.75" when wetter conditions prevail.

Thanks for the info & I look foward to hearing more about price & pest resistence.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
I have not seen or even heard of the new strain of Captiva St Augustine turf. I'm keenly interested in knowing how it will tolerate the cooler weather. Since I'm in Zone 9 I don't think freezing is a hazard but temps in the mid to low 40's overnight are possible for extended periods.

I'm in Zone 9 as well. Looking forward to see how it does next winter.

Quote:
Please keep me posted on the performance of the Captiva and how it responds to pest control and dryer conditions. I'd also be interested in knowing how well it competes in terms of pricing; I pay about $80.00 for a pallet (app. 500sqf) now.

Two of the selling features of Captiva is its reduced need for watering and resistance to Cinch bugs. Here's a little video with more info.

I paid $105/pallet btw.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
I'm in Zone 9 as well. Looking forward to see how it does next winter.

Two of the selling features of Captiva is its reduced need for watering and resistance to Cinch bugs. Here's a little video with more info.

I paid $105/pallet btw.

Thanks for the info... the price premium may be worth it if it reduces the # of cuts, overall maintenance & pestice applications.

I'll need to get a better understanding of the premium recovery period... eg. how long will it take for the savings in maintenance to recover the 20% + premium over what I'm paying now.

I'm excited about this new strain and appreciate you bringing it to us. I'll be watching for a while.