Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scag V-Ride Review (pics included)

A few weeks ago I demoed a Scag V-Ride 48" stand on mower from my dealer. When he told me to give it a try I said Sure, but I'm not gonna like it. I'm a red machine guy. lol All Toro and Exmark for me. Well I cannot say one bad thing about the machine! It had a beautiful cut and layed some awesome stripes. I put it through the paces, on all kinds of terrain. Nicely manicured lawns, weedy lawns, bumpy, hilly, you name it. I loved the way it dispersed the clippings. It chopped them up really fine and spread them very well leaving areas needing to be cut only once instead of double cut in some instances. I took it on hills and small slopes that my other mowers slipped down and it took them like a champ. Also I noticed on lawns that have some "pot holes" that other mowers always tend to scalp, I was purposely dropping the tires in there to test it out and absolutely no scalping. It had a very comfortable ride and I also loved that it had a fuel meter to let you know when you were getting low. At the moment I can't think of anything else, but please feel free to leave any comments or questions as I want any info possible, because I'm pretty sure I will be buying one. Does anyone have any experience with the 52" version?
Attached Images

11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at one yesterday, looks like a very nice stander...I'm a red guy too, but Scag had Toro and Exmark beat on this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ive looked at em as well, have a 48 ferris, 48 proV and 61 tiger, but realized that for the incremental difference in a 52 deck, i wouldnt gain any production. If i cant get my 61 somewhere a 52 isnt gonna fit either, so i think that a 48/61 combo is best.

If i ever get rid of the proV for some reason i might consider the vride, they look like a great machine but im not a big fan of standers in general
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased two of the Scag 52" mowers this spring and the guys love them. The 52 will cut faster and better than our 60" zero turns. With about 250 hours on each we had had no problems. I plan to buy more.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnjocky View Post
I purchased two of the Scag 52" mowers this spring and the guys love them. The 52 will cut faster and better than our 60" zero turns. With about 250 hours on each we had had no problems. I plan to buy more.
That's awesome to hear! I appreciate the input. My only question is: did you notice any scalping with the 52" decks?
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 08-29-2010, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have been running my 52" v-ride to death this year and I can say it is my favorite machine by far. No scalping at all. When they come out with 61" decks I won't be buying any more riders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

great review!...I've been drooling for a 36" but have yet to get into a dealer to look one over( there aren't many up here)good to hear firsthand positives
My clientele has expanded in VERY nice neighbourhood and the lots are huge with teeny tiny little gates(3-4') so the best I can get in there is a 21, and it takes FOREVER.
I love toros too bust just dont like the set up on the grandstand or the snappers. So its down to either a wright or the scag.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
I have been running my 52" v-ride to death this year and I can say it is my favorite machine by far. No scalping at all. When they come out with 61" decks I won't be buying any more riders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool thanks man. I appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
great review!...I've been drooling for a 36" but have yet to get into a dealer to look one over( there aren't many up here)good to hear firsthand positives
My clientele has expanded in VERY nice neighbourhood and the lots are huge with teeny tiny little gates(3-4') so the best I can get in there is a 21, and it takes FOREVER.
I love toros too bust just dont like the set up on the grandstand or the snappers. So its down to either a wright or the scag.
It's funny that you say that about getting into gates. That's the only thing that I did notice about the mower. I demoed a 48" machine and there were gates that I could jockey my Navigator into that I just could not get the V-ride into. It's not a huge problem, just would be a little more convenient.

I also demoed the Wright Sentar and was not nearly as impressed. I felt the cut was pretty good, but felt the whole machine overall did not feel as strong as the Scag and I was not as big of a fan of the hand controls, plus I did not like sitting in the position that the mower is set up for.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thumbs down for sentars, we had three and they were total crap booo,
Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Boy they are selling a bunch of those V-ride in our area. I see them poping up on the bigger companies. They are having a little problem with the hydro fittings but that seems to be getting fixed with upgrade hardware the local shop is installing. The increase in efficiency is what is often discussed.