Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

seriously.

I just finished doing a quote on a big paver job of 7500 sq ft driveway. to take up and clean and relay and regrade, 1200 sq ft of which is new material as a border.

I quoted the job to completely redo the base 24 inches deep, the 1200 sq ft of border stone which is unilock copthorne and unilock courstone mix.

The guy already has two quotes to do the driveway. I presented him with the quote to completely redo and he almost crapped himself. I quoted at just over 80 grand. He told me i was quite a bit higher then the other guys.

they apparently only quoted to take out, clean, and relay the original interlock, with adding 600 sq ft of border of unilock umbriano. These companies apparently came in at a quote of under $20,000.00 I almost lost my nuts when he said that. What do you guys think.

I am supplying 100 bags of polymeric sand
up to 20 yards of gravel for leveling
25 yards of #2 sand
600 ft of court stone interlock
650 to 700 ft of copthorne laid on a 45degree angle in between the double border court stone
just going to level the current base without removing.
re-use old edgers
I am also putting one 65 sq ft star in the driveway and one smaller 35 sq ft star made from the same materials as the border.

Pretty much they are offering the same as me except i am offering the extra interior border with the copthorne.

no matter how i look at it i can only come up with a number of just over 40,000.00

Even if i only offer the single border instead of the interior border. i am pricing at just over 30,000.00

These are lowest prices i can come up with i don't even think these prices are high enough.

If anybody can possibly explain why they would ever do this job for under $20,000.00 i would appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When a person tells me they received quotes for super low numbers I will ask to see the quote. Now, I know darn well I am NOT going to lower the price, but I'll say "e-mail or fax me the quote and I'll take a look at it and see what we can do".

Sometimes people will tell you they received a lower quote when the truth is - they didn't - they're just trying to see if you'll do the work for the money they were envisioning spending.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
When a person tells me they received quotes for super low numbers I will ask to see the quote. Now, I know darn well I am NOT going to lower the price, but I'll say "e-mail or fax me the quote and I'll take a look at it and see what we can do".

Sometimes people will tell you they received a lower quote when the truth is - they didn't - they're just trying to see if you'll do the work for the money they were envisioning spending.

What he said! ^ Does he realize that umbriano and copthorne is like $10sq.ft.
If the base is good then a relay could be done at $5sq.ft. add material (mark it up to list) and a realistic labour cost. You will see the real #'s then. Of course offer no warranty with a relay.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5 dollars is a little high for that size for my area. I repriced to reflect the job being done the same as the other guys, I got down to around 28000 for the job, includng the border being done the same as the other guys. I don't know why someone would bid that job under that. I am going to tell the guy if he is interested in me pricing any lower I need to get a copy of one of his quotes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, your price is low in my mind. I charge $15.00 per square foot. If he can get it done for $20,000.00. you will be back to fix the other guys work in a few years.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslawnlandscapeohio View Post
Wow, your price is low in my mind. I charge $15.00 per square foot.
For a relay? I highly doubt it.

Hardscaping: I've constantly heard of others getting way underbid on jobs. For some reason it has not effected me untill just recently. 6 of my last 10 estimates nearly had heart failure when they heard my price because of the numbers they had already recieved.
One guy actually hung up on me after accusing me of trying to steal from him. Oh well.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Someone will be back there to fix it either way, the guy doesn't want to redo the base. Just fill in a couple areas, the base seems alright but not good enough that I am giving any waranty on the interlock shifting at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

75 pallets of brick is alot of brick to have to lift, clean and relay. Good luck. What kind of brick is laid there now?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if the base was fine none of you would be pricing to redo the job in the first place......
Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
if the base was fine none of you would be pricing to redo the job in the first place......
What do you mean???