Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2010, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Just Starting out-SOLO

I am new to this and just started out. I wanted to introduce myself and let you all see what I have been doing the past 6 weeks. I have purchased a new F150 on 8-13-10 and in 6 weeks, decided to go solo, purchased 2010 Toro Z500 60", 7 x 12 ft trailer dual with brakes, Echo equipment and Boss 7.5 ft plow. It is now time to go to work. The leaves are getting ready to fall here in northeast Ohio and I have 8 clients as of this morning. And away we go.......
Name:  1-Equipment-1.jpg
Views: 3323
Size:  109.3 KB
Name:  4-Z500-2.jpg
Views: 3326
Size:  93.0 KB
Name:  6-Z500-4.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  83.1 KB
Name:  10-Truck and Trailer loaded-2.jpg
Views: 3324
Size:  107.3 KB
Name:  12-Plow-2.jpg
Views: 3320
Size:  61.4 KB
Old 10-09-2010, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck to you. You made great choices on all your equipment. I respect you a lot for starting with quality equipment instead of working with junk like a scrub. Best of luck to you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
Best of luck to you. You made great choices on all your equipment. I respect you a lot for starting with quality equipment instead of working with junk like a scrub. Best of luck to you!
Posted via Mobile Device
A must disagree with this statement. Some guys don't have the money or accounts to start off with such nice equipment. My advise for beginners is to buy some used equipment and see if they like the business and then move up to bigger and better things. SCRUBS is a poor choice of words
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're new aren't you?

Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradseabridge View Post
You're new aren't you?
What does new have to do with good advice?

Last edited by MisterBreeze; 12-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good show man I really like that bed rack you made....

Screw bagging I have 48 resi and three commercial and i bag 2!!! if a a customer wants bag they pay or i walk usually i dont even bother and just walk..so many people have been trained to bag thier clippings..

If your gona go GO!!

And I think only 2 have even bothered to say things like we dont know his finacial or if you had capitol to start

GO MAN GO!!!

1 Desert Eagle
(security)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBreeze View Post
A must disagree with this statement. Some guys don't have the money or accounts to start off with such nice equipment. My advise for beginners is to buy some used equipment and see if they like the business and then move up to bigger and better things. SCRUBS is a poor choice of words
That is the biggest problem with this business. People get go get cheap equipment and lowball prices because they do not know how to run a business. I can probably count on my two hands the number of legit businesses on here who are run by businessmen and are not just lawn boys. The reason we all come on here bitching every year is because this industry has very few barriers of entry compared to most others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll never understand why anyone whos business plan is different than yours is wrong. There's more than one way to skin a cat, same goes for starting a business. Just because someone does something differently doesn't mean they're wrong

Quote:
. I can probably count on my two hands the number of legit businesses on here who are run by businessmen and are not just lawn boys. Posted via Mobile Device
agree 100%
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jersey who u asking?

Its should be positive no matter how you look at it or else dont do it.

there are two side to every story, and i would take it all in and use what you need and file the rest..There is some good info in everything, you just have to look with your good eyes

1 Desert Eagle
(security)

Last edited by M & L; 12-15-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling, wouldnt want to get criticized for spelling
Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That is the biggest problem with this business. People get go get cheap equipment and lowball prices because they do not know how to run a business. I can probably count on my two hands the number of legit businesses on here who are run by businessmen and are not just lawn boys. The reason we all come on here bitching every year is because this industry has very few barriers of entry compared to most others.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not sure I understand your position. Are you upset because of lowballers or that guys can buy equipment cheap. What I was trying to say is don't start a business by going into too much debt. Buying new is fine but I don't think it's necessary to purchase top of the line equipment. And I don't like to see guys driving around in a "Sanford & Son" pick-up but you can't assume they are "scrubs" if they do. You don't know anyones situation.
And also, lawn equipment is not cheap, even if it's used. It's still cost a few bucks for a reliable mower and needed equipment.