Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

g3 blower

hello,

we have a toro g3 52 inch deck 25 kohler. we have gone through five blower drive belts this summer,the machine has about 275 hours on it.

is this normal?

while doing end of season maintence, we found that the belt tensioner assy. seems to have a lot of up and down play, about half an inch at least. the bolt and bushing seem ok and have been greased on a regular schedule. is this normal. we also found a three inch crack in the plastic blower housing.

the toro dealer here in grand forks north dakota, looked at the blower and said that the tensioner was fine with that much play in it. they also looked at the crack in the blower and said that there was nothing they could do about either problem.

they did say i could buy a new blower housing at my cost of 129 dollars.

since ther is no evidence of any thing other than normal wear and tear on the blower housing why would it not be covered? i have been a long time toro customer i hope you can help with these problems.

The model number on the blower is 78552 and the serial number is 290000158.

thank you,
eric morrison
quality lawn care
Attached Files
File Type: zip Blower.zip (1.04 MB, 6 views)
Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Sponsor

Eric,
Thank you for contacting Toro with your belt wear concern. Belt wear/failure is usually related with belt tension and/or alignment.

When a belt does not have enough tension the belt failure is unusually a pulling or tear appearance to the belt when it fails.

When a belt has too much belt tension will have a melting appearance or hard coating from heating and softening then the material cooling back down.
When alignment is not right you can see wear on the edges (fraying) and/or the belt will not stay on the pulleys and fall off. What you have described it has the symptoms as if to much movement in the idler pulley assembly. I do not know what the exact spec is on the movement but the amount you are experiencing seems excessive.

We have attached the Toro Parts breakdown for your reference to assure all the parts are in place.

The Toro Company
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 78552 Blower Parts.pdf (119.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

hello,

are there any updates for the idler? we have seen a lot of fraying on the belt edges,so alignment may be the problem. any suggestions?

can you tell me why the crack in the blower housing would not be covered? i know it does not affect the performance of the blower now,but i am sure this is going to get worse over time.,

thanks,
eric
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

what about the blower crack????????????????
Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Sponsor

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The only way we can assist you is to get the unit back to the Dealer for inspection. If there are any manufacturing defects, we will be more than happy to assist the Dealer in resolving the issue

The Toro Company