Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2010, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Aquaponics????

Hi

I normally only post in the Pesticide Forum. However I am looking at Aquaponics as a possible new hobby. I need Help with the Following questions.

1 A source and information on water plants that help either Feed fish, or improve water quality.

2. A chart Telling Feed to Meat production ratios by Species. BTW Purina couldn't give this answer. A chicken takes 2 pound of feed to grow one pound of Meat etc.

3. Maximum Number of Market size Fish per Gallon of Water. Of course this varies by species.

4. Ratio of Gallons of Fish to gallons of Grow beds. Once again how does Species effect this ratio??

Aquaponics is Green Growing which uses 1/10 the water of normal farming and the fish waste is the organic Fertilizer that grows the crop. Both Fish and Plants are produced from aquaponic.

BTW I found aquaponics on U tube very interesting with many different way to use inexpensive materials to build a system.

PS I have a small 20 gallon fish tank and a 3 gallon grow bed in my Living Room for experimentation. I have well over $ 200 tied up in this using a lot of stuff I already had, So it isn't a cheap venture. Plus all I am growing right now is Colored Greens and Flat Head Minnows. My goal with the Flat Head Minnows is to produce Feeder Fish. I also want to experiment with growing insect larvae for feed.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Hi

I normally only post in the Pesticide Forum. However I am looking at Aquaponics as a possible new hobby. I need Help with the Following questions.
A 'hobby' hobby or a hobby for profit?

1 A source and information on water plants that help either Feed fish, or improve water quality.
All aquatic plants filter and improve water quality. Plants of choice would depend on overall footprint of system.

2. A chart Telling Feed to Meat production ratios by Species. BTW Purina couldn't give this answer. A chicken takes 2 pound of feed to grow one pound of Meat etc.
Check some of the governmental and academic sites on Aquaculture.

3. Maximum Number of Market size Fish per Gallon of Water. Of course this varies by species.
Same answer.

4. Ratio of Gallons of Fish to gallons of Grow beds. Once again how does Species effect this ratio??
I am almost certain that additional filtration will be required. Aquatic plants polish the water by removing NitAtes. Bioconversion will be needed to convert Ammonia and NitrItes.

Aquaponics is Green Growing which uses 1/10 the water of normal farming and the fish waste is the organic Fertilizer that grows the crop. Both Fish and Plants are produced from aquaponic.

BTW I found aquaponics on U tube very interesting with many different way to use inexpensive materials to build a system.

PS I have a small 20 gallon fish tank and a 3 gallon grow bed in my Living Room for experimentation. I have well over $ 200 tied up in this using a lot of stuff I already had, So it isn't a cheap venture. Plus all I am growing right now is Colored Greens and Flat Head Minnows. My goal with the Flat Head Minnows is to produce Feeder Fish. I also want to experiment with growing insect larvae for feed.

Aquaponics is a melding of 2 independent systems---Aquaculture (fish) and Hydroponics (plants) in a balanced symbiotic relationship. One would need to know the requirements of each as stand-alone systems in order to achieve balance when combining the 2. This can easily become a sizable investment.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tadpole

I thank you for the Reply. However I have developed Legs and I am a little past that section. Agronomics is the study of crops grown in SOIL while Hydroponics is the study of crops grown SOILESS. I have been involved in Hydroponics for a while now. Water quality is very important. My well water has a high Biocarbs so I have RO water. The pH of RO water is not stable and must be buffered where my Well water is buffered by the Biocarbs and soluble metals. Therefore I have been mixing both to achieve the perfect nutrient level for plants. Throw in Fish and the whole water balance changes. Plants like a pH of 5.5 to 6.5 while most fish like 7.5 to 8.0 pH. Plants will grow in 8.0 water as most fish can live in 6.0 water. Dissolved solids are totally different also. It is the Nitrite from Fish waste that fertilizes the Plants. Nitrites must be kept in balance also.

Back to my original questions. I have chased these answers on the Internet and my County Extension Agent. I just can't under stand why these facts are not published somewhere. They are the Back bone of the profit margin when doing a Commercial operation. If we were to talk about Cows or Pigs Etc these production number are everywhere.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Tadpole

I thank you for the Reply. However I have developed Legs and I am a little past that section. Agronomics is the study of crops grown in SOIL while Hydroponics is the study of crops grown SOILESS. I have been involved in Hydroponics for a while now. Water quality is very important. My well water has a high Biocarbs so I have RO water. The pH of RO water is not stable and must be buffered where my Well water is buffered by the Biocarbs and soluble metals. Therefore I have been mixing both to achieve the perfect nutrient level for plants. Throw in Fish and the whole water balance changes. Plants like a pH of 5.5 to 6.5 while most fish like 7.5 to 8.0 pH. Plants will grow in 8.0 water as most fish can live in 6.0 water. Dissolved solids are totally different also. It is the Nitrite from Fish waste that fertilizes the Plants. Nitrites must be kept in balance also.

Back to my original questions. I have chased these answers on the Internet and my County Extension Agent. I just can't under stand why these facts are not published somewhere. They are the Back bone of the profit margin when doing a Commercial operation. If we were to talk about Cows or Pigs Etc these production number are everywhere.
Hope that I didn't insult you with my reply. It is hard to tell the level of a poster's knowledge from the initial posting, so I always respond with the basics.

Aquaponics is still an infant industry as compared to pig, cow, or poultry production. Many have never heard of it. So it is no wonder that data is sparse. Have you tried locating and contacting an existing operation. They may be able to lead you to the info that you require.

On a side note, pH value requirements will vary from specie to specie. This applies to fish as well as plants. Most natural woodland ponds have a pH of 6.8 and support populations of Bream, Bass etc. Trout will tolerate a pH as low a 5.5.

You might give a call to the folks at Aquatic Eco-systems. They just may know where to find what you seek.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you read this?

http://ces3.ca.uky.edu/westkentuckya...culture%20.pdf

There is a lot of info available if you search Google Scholar.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

This thread is two years old, but I'll chime in for any late readers.
From The Complete Idiot's Guide to Urban Homesteading, feed-to-meat production ratios include fish = 1.7 lbs of feed for 1 lb of meat, chickens 2.4 lbs of feed for 1 lb, turkey 5.2 lbs of feed, and beef 9.0 lbs of feed.

Aquaponics may be unfamiliar in many areas, but it is not new. The hanging gardens of Babylon were thousands of years ago. Hawaii has had active aquaponics for centuries.

If you are in zone 4 or 5, Ohio State has developed a single-season Yellow Perch that is very close to marketability. This will open new crop potential for any pond owners in cold winter areas.

It is interesting that a regular pesticide poster began this thread. In an aquaponics system, if plants are not healthy or fish are not healthy, both die. There is no need to certify an aquaponic system as organic. An organic field farmer can cheat because it takes human detection to catch the act, but any pesticide introduced in an aquaponics system destroys the system. It is beautifully self-regulating.

One can see from the feed conversion ratio and growing process that aquaponics is one partial solution to reducing fossil fuel needs, growing locally, and growing more of what
overweight Americans need. It's also a great, growing niche market for the landscape construction industry.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will Allen of Growing Power is big into aquaponics in Milwaukee. Tilapia and Yellow perch are the fish used. I've oft considered going to their workshop to learn it.

http://www.growingpower.org/aquaponics.htm
Old 12-01-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

University of Hawaii offers a complete and comprehensive online program on Aquaculture and Aquaponics.

http://videolearning.uhatoll.com/?goback=.gmr_2825542
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Aquaponics

Ohio State has an intensive boot camp beginning in Jan 2013. This is for serious people who are very likely to invest in or expand their current operations.

The program is sponsored, at least in part, by the Soybean Council (feed market). The overall program goal is to develop growers who can net $50K/yr - enough to modestly support a family.

There are already part-timers making money at this, but for most it is not their primary source of income. The goal is to make this a viable industry in the midwest.

For the less immediately serious, they had planned to webcast the (weekend only, I think) training that covers several months.

The lawnsite connection is probably most relevant for those who have or plan to add pond construction and maintenance to their business plan. Freshwater prawns are already grown in the midwest, but the single-season Perch development could change a bunch of Koi/hobby ponds and farm ponds for irrigation/runoff into profit centers.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryrainscomin View Post

............ but the single-season Perch development could change a bunch of Koi/hobby ponds and farm ponds for irrigation/runoff into profit centers.
You obviously don't know many Koi Keepers. They aren't going to part with their "kids" for any amount of money.