Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lock your equipment up

Last week had $4k worth of equipment stolen so I went out and updated the chains and locks. Well yesterday at a different property another crew had 2 of their locks broke, nothing was stolen this time but still pi$$ed me off. Anyways got tired of worrying so just went out and spent $600 on 8 locks and new chains. Welded chains to trailers and master-keyed all locks. What are you guys doing to protect your stuff?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

well for starters i keep my equipment behind a garage door when not hooked to my truck. I have the Extreme racks for my handhelds and i have the extreme blower rack for my backpack blower. i have 3 braided steel ropes about the thickness of a nickel that i can use if i have to leave my trailer unattended (I.E. go inside walmart or somewhere that requires me to be be away from the immediate area of my truck) i have heard of people being robbed for their equipment at gunpoint while doing a job so if i have a feeling, i may carry my glock 19 with me while im servicing a job. other than that, i have a few different assault rifles, and pistols and shot guns to choose from should someone try to force entry into my home where i store my equipment. im not a big enough company to store my equipment off site.
Stihl BR550 Back Pack Blower
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Echo Straight Shaft Trimmer
6'X12' single axle trailer
Greentouch Xtreme trimmer racks
Greentouch Xtreme Backpack blower rack
Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnEnforcement25 View Post
well for starters i keep my equipment behind a garage door when not hooked to my truck. I have the Extreme racks for my handhelds and i have the extreme blower rack for my backpack blower. i have 3 braided steel ropes about the thickness of a nickel that i can use if i have to leave my trailer unattended (I.E. go inside walmart or somewhere that requires me to be be away from the immediate area of my truck) i have heard of people being robbed for their equipment at gunpoint while doing a job so if i have a feeling, i may carry my glock 19 with me while im servicing a job. other than that, i have a few different assault rifles, and pistols and shot guns to choose from should someone try to force entry into my home where i store my equipment. im not a big enough company to store my equipment off site.
I have the extreme racks as well. I also had to drill a hole in my shove heads, post hole digger etc so I could pass a steel rope lock kit as you mentioned. It may sound over the top but, Nupla brand equipment is not cheap.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2nd amendment is our friend. Alarm systems on the buildings where you store your equipment,Log chains and locks on equipment,locks on the gate.. You can only do so much.Keep everything insured.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow

WOW, I think the price you paid for the chains was a good price, if it lets you sleep at night.

Do you keep everything locked in a storage area is it it out in the public? I have been wondering how to keep mys stuff safe and I will have 12K on new equipment next week.

We Only Cut Grass . com

Lurch
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a shop and a yard that we keep all equipment and trucks in at night. This equipment was stolen from a job site.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where at? We have had a lot of problems in the Arcadia area and central corridor.

Our yard is surrounded by buildings on 3 sides so its out of sight. We back up the rigs to our building so they can't open the rear doors. We park the rigs so close together you can't get to the side doors. So they would have to steal the whole rig to get anything. Then they would have to crash two gates to get out to a street. On job sites we keep both doors locked, the guys have keys to the side door and we have combo locks on the back doors.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am on 19th ave and Mountain View. Great shop and yard. I park the trailers inside the shop and I pin the trucks up against the garage door and main front door, so basically the same, the have to steal the entire truck in order to get in.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where did your thefts occur?

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At a property on 30th ave and yorkshire. At an hoa that we do.
Posted via Mobile Device