Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 ton dump

Hey guys got a question for some of you that may have experience in this. I'm looking at getting my first dump going for this year. I am looking for a pretty specific truck due to cash constraints as well as engine reliability.

I'm looking at getting a 7.3 powerstroke 4wd reg cab with lower miles, if it already has a dump on it great.

I found one with a flat bed dump. Does anybody run this style rather than a contractor/landscape bed. I know I can weld sides, but is it worth it. If anybody has run both styles I'd love to see some pictures or feedback on whether or none a flatbed with some built sides worked out alright.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run a contractors dump with drop sides and to me, if it's a contractors dump, then that's the way to go.

I've never dealt with a flatbed, but did grow up with grain trucks with removable box and they worked great.

I think if you do get the flatbed, I would try to find an old grain box and use it for your sides. If you don't have a back section for it, I would make some removable cross bars to hold the sides together better if you go tall.

Even with my truck and the contractors dump, unless it's light material like mulch, rarely does a 3.5 ton load on it actually touches or puts much pressure on the sides.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah you are probably right. Any heavy material won't put that much pressure on the sides anyway. I may be able to get away with just some wood sides on it.

I just wish I could find one with a good dump bed on it with fold down sides for loading pallets, but I guess those are the sacrifices you make when purchasing used equipment.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

does the flatbed dump? if so just get some stake pockets and make it a stake body/dump. the guy i used to work for had a couple like that and they were really nice.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it's a flatbed that dumps. It has pockets on it already, and apparently some small sides. I just worried about loading it with dirt/gravel etc... with those sides. The tailgate is gonna be the biggest issue, but I think I could probably rig up a pretty cool chute system for loading wheel barrows.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good deal.

1999 F450 7.3 113k miles 4x4 little to no rust, good rubber, reg cab, no a/c wet dump 10' or 12' bed can't remember for sure

List price is $14,500 I've been told that's high, which I agree, but I know those 7.3's are getting hard to come by. I'm thinking if I could get it bought for $12k that it wouldn't be too bad.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ya if you can get it for 12K that wouldnt be a bad deal. as for the sides and tailgate holding you shouldnt have any problems, with that big of a bed the load will be spread out enough that it wont be an issue.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems a bit high priced, I bought a 99 F350 4x4 7.3L with 47,000 miles for $15k and I know that might have been a bit high when I bought it last fall.
It is replacing my 99 GMC 3500HD Flatbed dump with 3' sides that I built, works great for loading soil or stone, yes the tailgate can be a pain at times but it works just have to pry at it if your load is against the tailgate. The sides can come off so you can load from the side of the truck which is handy at times too.
See if you can get that price down on that truck and then work on the sides using 2x4's and plywood. Then paint it.
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds