Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Walk behind sulky question

Hi

I'm starting a new lawn care buisness. I purchased a good used Bobcat Hydro walk behind. I am going to buy a sulky but could use some advice on what to get. Looks like theres one wheel two wheel etc. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Karl from www.straightlinelawn.com

Last edited by derbyd137; 02-15-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've had a single wheel velky and a double wheel jungle jim...both on SCAG 48WB hydro units. For one, I can't use the singel wheel cause of the weight limit. Second, when it was used it left a terrible line in the middle of the cut and IMHO made your cut of the yard look bad. I guess it was due to all of the pressure of the operator being on one wheel. However, the velky was much easier to fold up and attach to the mower than the jungle jim. In addition, on those rare occasions we have to walk behind the unit for a short duration much much easier with the velky than the jungle jim due to how it folded and the size. That said I still prefer the double...cut was better and it held my fat butt.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Sulky

Thanks for the info LB. That was something I had not considered. The unwanted stripe. Makes sence though. I actually found a company right here on Lawnsite that is advertising two wheelers for a good price. They look quality too. http://www.trailerracks.com/SD104.html. I think I will buy one. Cause I'm surely NOT going to walk around behind this puppy day in and day out. Of course at this point I have Zero contracts. Thats how new I am. Hey any other advise you could through my way would be appreciated.

Later
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer the 2 wheel(larger tires) with the pivot on it.They other kind I saw has coaster wheels. It make very wide turns. They do make a new HD 1 wheel with a spring on it but is it super heavy.

Tags
lawn care , lawn mowing , sulky