Register free!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

fire ant control

What are you guys using for fire ants? One app (top choice) or multiple apps? With top choice looks like you could get year long control but have heard of app rates around $20 per 1000.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't remember cost from last year exactly but I think it was around $230 for a 50# bag which covered 25K. Most folks get sticker shock even with cost plus labor pricing only. If I priced it as a regular app would be priced, I'd never do Fire Ant Control with Top Choice. Bayer sure is proud of it. It works awesome though, at least in this area and soil. They guarantee 97% control the first year(12 months) and 100% every year the lawn is treated after the initial treatment. Tests at Texas A&M showed 85% control after 18 months.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 02-27-2011, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I can't remember cost from last year exactly but I think it was around $230 for a 50# bag which covered 25K. Most folks get sticker shock even with cost plus labor pricing only. If I priced it as a regular app would be priced, I'd never do Fire Ant Control with Top Choice. Bayer sure is proud of it. It works awesome though, at least in this area and soil. They guarantee 97% control the first year(12 months) and 100% every year the lawn is treated after the initial treatment. Tests at Texas A&M showed 85% control after 18 months.
Ted

The Key to Top Choice's success is the type of soil it is used on. Heavy Clay Soils with a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capicity) will have a long Residual. Sandy soil with little or no CEC will have failures from the start.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I had read the testing from A&M. Think I was quoted closer to $200 last year, but haven't priced it this year. I assume it has gone up with everything else! I can't make any money charging the same fert/squirt app price, so I need to go up. Haven't had many calls for this but the ant are definently here.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guys

There are a Thousand ways to skin Cat and Top Choice is only one way. I sell a 6 treatments per year or every 60 days Fire Hosing of the property. At a Per Acre Cost of $ 10.00 for chemicals the average house is less than $ 2.50 chemical cost. But more important I make contact with the customer 6 times a year instead on ONE. I either resell myself or UP sell them on each visit. Oh and my price is the same yearly cost as Top Choice, only my margin is a lot higher.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wilson

I got your PM. I will post this one last time. My Fire Ant program is pretty simple. I use Bifen XTS and Dish soap as a surfactant. I also have a dedicated truck with a Skid Sprayer for straight Insect control. I fire hose the Property with 5 to 10 Gallons per thousand depending of how bad of an infestation. I calibrate to be at the Lower rate at 5 gallons per thousand. Bifen XTS has a 30 day repellent effect so I treat every 60 days. My cost of chemicals is so low that I have no problems flooding down a bad infestation. The gas to get there costs more than the Insecticide.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've used ric's fire ant control for several years now works great....

i agree with what ric's saying if your there every 60days you will be able to see other things you might be able to sell them........
Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks gregory and ric. I will have to look into one app of top choice or something different. I don't have the equipment to apply 5-10 gallons per 1000.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wilson, i dont either i just use my z spray jr and then water it in with my sprinklers.... i did use top choice but was luckly to get 6 months out of it....
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
wilson, i dont either i just use my z spray jr and then water it in with my sprinklers.... i did use top choice but was luckly to get 6 months out of it....
Karl

In the Rainy season he can use Granules and in the dry season he can use baits. He might not get the quick knock down like liquids, but he can get a reasonably long resisdual.

As for Top Choice not lasting, read post # 3.