Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Any REAL Pond Builders on Long Island?

I have interviewed a number of pond builders. Most seem resistant to bottom drains. I want my pond set up a certain way. 2 bottom drains with a diverter to allow for a skimmer as well a vortex filter leading to a bead filter. Without going into much detail, it seems everyone here on Long Island wants to build a pond that requires drainage and clean out every year. I know very well that is not what I want. I am too old (bad back) to do it myself or I would.
I would like to hear from anyone who has had some experience with qualified and reasonably priced Long Island builders
Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecapt View Post
I have interviewed a number of pond builders. Most seem resistant to bottom drains. I want my pond set up a certain way. 2 bottom drains with a diverter to allow for a skimmer as well a vortex filter leading to a bead filter. Without going into much detail, it seems everyone here on Long Island wants to build a pond that requires drainage and clean out every year. I know very well that is not what I want. I am too old (bad back) to do it myself or I would.
I would like to hear from anyone who has had some experience with qualified and reasonably priced Long Island builders
I would contact either:

Pete @
http://pondviewlandscaping.com/

OR

Jay@
http://www.liquidlandscapedesigns.com

Being in east central Illinois, it's a bit of a drive for me.These Northeasterners are the only ones I know of in your "area". I personally know both Pete and Jay. Both are very professional and will be more than happy to assist you.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecapt View Post
I have interviewed a number of pond builders. Most seem resistant to bottom drains.

As long as your ideas and plans are of solid design you should have no problem what so ever finding a contractor to construct what you want.
I know you don't want to dive into details but after you clearly communicated your need and desire for a specific feature Incorporated into the pond design, I am curious as to what they said to you and their rational for showing continued reluctance to give you what you want. Successful contractors stay successful by giving the client what they want or a variation of what they want. If several contractors you spoke with all showed reluctance to a drain then perhaps it was a desgine issue, communication issue or a budgetary one or maybe the chosen location. Why no drain
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
As long as your ideas and plans are of solid design you should have no problem what so ever finding a contractor to construct what you want.
I know you don't want to dive into details but after you clearly communicated your need and desire for a specific feature Incorporated into the pond design, I am curious as to what they said to you and their rational for showing continued reluctance to give you what you want. Successful contractors stay successful by giving the client what they want or a variation of what they want. If several contractors you spoke with all showed reluctance to a drain then perhaps it was a desgine issue, communication issue or a budgetary one or maybe the chosen location. Why no drain
There are a lot of people on the island who like to get repeat business by coming out every year to service your pond. The excuse most commonly heard is that they don't do it because they tend to leak and they cannot guarantee that will not happen. Clearly, in my opinion, these guys are not adequately experienced in doing the bottom drains. Some of these same ones don't recommend bead filters. I want the pond to be as maintenance free as possible. Vortex and bead filters with agitaror pumps are teh most easy to clean. I have a pond now that has no bottom filter and I vacuum it (using a homemade siphon vacuum) 2-3 times a year. The pond I want would be roughly 12 x 18' free form. Anyone who does it right has quoted me between 20-30,000.00 which is FAR more than I can afford.
I will contact those mentioned by Pondmeister as well.

Thanks folks!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want it done right then you've got to pay up. There's a reason your getting priced by the true pros and walked away from by the hacks. Cant have it both ways.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurkn with amish View Post
if you want it done right then you've got to pay up. There's a reason your getting priced by the true pros and walked away from by the hacks. Cant have it both ways.
$30,000??????
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$20,000 to $30,000 for a true Koi Pond is not necessarily unreasonable.

The method of construction is entirely different than an eco-system (Garden) pond.

There are a couple of things that you failed to mention:
-Depth?
-in-ground or above ground?
-lined (EPDM)? Epoxy sealed concrete?
-projected fish load?

I am fairly confident that this same post on one of the Koi fanciers' forums will bring the same response as to installation costs.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
$20,000 to $30,000 for a true Koi Pond is not necessarily unreasonable.

The method of construction is entirely different than an eco-system (Garden) pond.

There are a couple of things that you failed to mention:
-Depth?
-in-ground or above ground?
-lined (EPDM)? Epoxy sealed concrete?
-projected fish load?

I am fairly confident that this same post on one of the Koi fanciers' forums will bring the same response as to installation costs.
between 1 & 3.5' deep at the deepest, in ground with EPDM, fish load perhaps 15 or so.

I guess I'm just a little surprised that people in THIS economy will pay 25-30K for a relatively small pond. Especially when contractors generally hire local illegals who will dig for a whole day non stop for about $150.00.

I guess what I should do is hire those same people and I put it together myself with them doing the labor.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

why dont you just start your own business then? There is a term for you around here. Its called a "PITA". So according to you, you have one group wanting to screw you over with yearly cleaning service and then the other guys wanting to screw you with their crazy prices. Good luck and happy digging.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can appreciate your concerns.

Even though the economy is bad, it has had no affect on material costs. In fact, costs for most items involved in pond construction (pump, skimmer, filters etc.) have risen this past year.

Additionally, the excavation stage of a pond of any type is the easiest part of the total process. Anybody can dig a hole. What is done with that hole to create a properly functioning healthy environment for aquatic life requires a goodly amount of knowledge AND experience. This is, along with material costs, what you are ultimately paying for.