Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thoughts on ConExpo

Just got back, still downloading and consolidating photos, most I will likely put on my Facebook page. Couple things I noticed

1. The Chinese are becoming a player in the Heavy Equipment market. At the 08 show Sany had a small postage stamp of a lot. This time huge, complete line including cranes. I checked a lot of these companies out. Their fit and finish is getting better and better. Obviously don't know how they run but if the visual signs of quality build construction are any indication, they are making a run at it.

2. Don't know who the marketing guy is at NH but the guy is genius. There were some very attractive girls dancing and helping to intro products and when their show started everybody gathered around to watch. Pretty impressive display. That blue skid steer was way cool.

3. This my 4th show and it was obvious there are fewer contractors and venders at this one. Still a lot of people there but not what I have seen in years past.

4. Vegas is struggling. Half done concrete foundations of future buildings which have stood since 08 they are in forclosure. One in five homes for sale Bad deal.

5. The CASE skid steers have E/H from the top to the bottom of the new line up. Either they made a mistake or changed their minds from earlier but you can have it either way E/H or manual controls.

6. Deeres big surprise was kinda weak I thought.

7. TK is now releasing the 153 with variable displacement at the aux. with improved GPM production finally. They had a smaller display than last time.

8. CASE put on a cool party at Caesar's. Tried to empty the place of Jack Daniels but they had more then I could drink, took a little while to realize that however.

9. ASV's skid steer needs a little more work I think. Nothing huge but the entry into the cab is ridiculous, they have the hyd ports on the tilt cylinders in such a place that they will certainly get sheared off, just things like that which jumped out at me. I talked with Terex guys, very cool.

All in all good times. Got some ideas, made some contacts and got tons of info. Even won a couple hundred on the Roulette wheel.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Deeres release was weak and overhyped. Everyone was like WTF when they unveiled the chatterbox. (watched it live on their site)
Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
Deeres release was weak and overhyped. Everyone was like WTF when they unveiled the chatterbox. (watched it live on their site)
That Chatter Box thing that Deere had was interesting. I was wondering if someone was editing some of that or if they just let it roll.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear on the E/H controls for Case. That is good on the TK153 but sucks to own the old one...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK so who came home with an extra wife or maybe a divorce?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I loved the asains that were going around taking pictures of all the new deere and cat equipment so they can copy it and make a new copycat machine. I laughed my ass off when the deere guy slammed the door shut so one couldnt get a picture of the pumps

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
I loved the asains that were going around taking pictures of all the new deere and cat equipment so they can copy it and make a new copycat machine. I laughed my ass off when the deere guy slammed the door shut so one couldnt get a picture of the pumps
That was awesome. Then there was the little guy trying to peel off cat stickers.
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
Edit: this isn't directed at you directly, Dirtman -- it's just a response to the thought of copy-catting in general. To put it bluntly, while there continues to be a large amount of copy-cating, you are sorely mistaken if you think that Chinese manufacturers are content to only copy Western equipment. Manufacturers who believe that all the photo taking is just for Chinese manufacturers to reverse engineer their own golden products are going to have a rude awakening. Given all the alleged resources and government backing of Chinese manufacturers, why wouldn't they just buy a machine and disassemble it? How effective are 2D photos of an assembled, inaccessible machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
It looks like as of Thursday 117K people had been through the gates in Vegas. Guess we will see what the final numbers are. They say that 25% are from outside the U.S. which is a record. You can gleen for yourself what that means.
We'll see what the numbers are, but this is the first Conexpo after the start of the recession. Regardless of whether the recession and down economy is completely over, in my opinion growth won't come back to the show immediately.

Last edited by Tigerotor77W; 03-26-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to hear more about the Terex displays. what were they highlighting? I think they are done buying out companies and may be starting to put more into developement as evidenced by their updated tlb designs.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
Edit: this isn't directed at you directly, Dirtman -- it's just a response to the thought of copy-catting in general. To put it bluntly, while there continues to be a large amount of copy-cating, you are sorely mistaken if you think that Chinese manufacturers are content to only copy Western equipment. Manufacturers who believe that all the photo taking is just for Chinese manufacturers to reverse engineer their own golden products are going to have a rude awakening. Given all the alleged resources and government backing of Chinese manufacturers, why wouldn't they just buy a machine and disassemble it? How effective are 2D photos of an assembled, inaccessible machine?
Everyone might already know this,
My wife's cousin works for Cat and he claims that Asians had completely dissassembled a D6 for instance and reverse engineered it. They went so far as to take molds where necessary and not even remove casting numbers on their new parts. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty!...if it is true.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown