Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 PM
oOTurfmanoO's Avatar
oOTurfmanoO oOTurfmanoO is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 245
I need a rapid way to break this down...

I've been learning about compost for the last 2 or so years. I made my first batch simply by adding ingredients an keeping it turned/flipped with a front-end loader on no specific time schedule. The original pile was huge and it naturally broke down into something of value (which was the goal).

As soon as I saw what I could do, I began a second batch with the 1st sitting idle. What i'm looking for is a way to break it down FAST either naturally or mechanically into something FINE to the extent that if you were to topdress a lawn the majority would fall into the canopy.

I've included a few pics of what I'm working with.This is relatively new to me and I'm open to suggestions,questons and advice.

Picture 1 is a simple image after it was turned...
Picture 2 and 3 are of last years batch. One is obvously dried and the other still wet.
Picture 4 is great profile shot of the the pile.

As you can see, there is some "larger than desireable" material. Again,my goal is to break it down fast, either smash, crush, tumble, worms, etc.

Your thoughts......
Attached Images
       
__________________
--Dan--
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOTurfmanoO View Post
I've been learning about compost for the last 2 or so years. I made my first batch simply by adding ingredients an keeping it turned/flipped with a front-end loader on no specific time schedule. The original pile was huge and it naturally broke down into something of value (which was the goal).

As soon as I saw what I could do, I began a second batch with the 1st sitting idle. What i'm looking for is a way to break it down FAST either naturally or mechanically into something FINE to the extent that if you were to topdress a lawn the majority would fall into the canopy.

I've included a few pics of what I'm working with.This is relatively new to me and I'm open to suggestions,questons and advice.

Picture 1 is a simple image after it was turned...
Picture 2 and 3 are of last years batch. One is obvously dried and the other still wet.
Picture 4 is great profile shot of the the pile.

As you can see, there is some "larger than desireable" material. Again,my goal is to break it down fast, either smash, crush, tumble, worms, etc.

Your thoughts......
Since you're in PA, i suggest you contact http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Tim Wilson Tim Wilson is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 797
http://www.ibiblio.org/steved/Luebke...-compost2.html

this should work with research
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,088
And of course, Tim is a great resource!
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
oOTurfmanoO's Avatar
oOTurfmanoO oOTurfmanoO is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Since you're in PA, i suggest you contact http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/
phasthound, awesome and in depth website. I've actually heard of this a while back. Some of its contents are part of my learning literature!

Thank you sir.
__________________
--Dan--
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM
DUSTYCEDAR's Avatar
DUSTYCEDAR DUSTYCEDAR is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 5,173
keeping it loose and full of air is the trick
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Marcos Marcos is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
keeping it loose and full of air is the trick
Yeah, and after lunch every afternoon have all the guys walk over & pee on it.
Urine accelerates the decomposition processes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
oOTurfmanoO's Avatar
oOTurfmanoO oOTurfmanoO is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
keeping it loose and full of air is the trick
To date, that's exactly what I've been doing.

I'd like to find a way to do it faster and better (like most Americans). My goal is to break it down so all material would fall into the canopy vs. having to rake the lawn after a topdressing app. There are still lots of larger pieces in there that are breaking down much slower i.e. older mulch.
__________________
--Dan--
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Marcos Marcos is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOTurfmanoO View Post
I'd like to find a way to do it faster and better (like most Americans). My goal is to break it down so all material would fall into the canopy vs. having to rake the lawn after a topdressing app. There are still lots of larger pieces in there that are breaking down much slower i.e. older mulch.
Find a local Ag dealer who can sell you liquid dark molasses in bulk. For composting purposes dilute the molasses approx 1:1 with water. Spray compost just before turning & then once again afterward.
Dark molasses derived from alcohol refining has a fertilizer analysis of approx 1-0-5, but it's not the N here that helps to kick in thermophilic decomposition into a higher gear, it's molasses' invert sugar.
Steer far clear of liquid molasses that has had vitamin supplements added for the benefit of livestock!

Of course, in further diluted rates, molasses is also often used as a component in compost teas.
We found it to be quite instrumental last fall as a 'shot of K' during drought-recovery non-renovation efforts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
JDUtah's Avatar
JDUtah JDUtah is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UT
Posts: 2,671
Sounds like you need to screen it. Probably double screen.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.11091 seconds with 8 queries