Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Aerator

We're going to purchase a new aerator this Spring. What comapny makes the best core aerator? Most of our accounts are 1/4 acre lots but we have some townhouses & 1/2 acre lots as well. What manufacturers/options should we be looking at? What size motor & width aerator do you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your not looking to do more than 1/2 an acre I would suggest the Ryan Lawnaire V. It's a simple wb aerator of about 25 inches width.

If you have a bit more money to invest, then go for the lawn solutions one.
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Solutions.

www.plugitlawn.com
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Plugr all the way. I do acre lots with my walk behind. Wont buy a larger aerator for big jobs until I can afford their "Tow Pro".
Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn solutions is way better than any Ryan. I've owned the Ryan V and IV and the Lawn Solutions MUCH easier to lift the tines and it can go backwards while aerating-GIANT advantage.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
Lawn solutions is way better than any Ryan. I've owned the Ryan V and IV and the Lawn Solutions MUCH easier to lift the tines and it can go backwards while aerating-GIANT advantage.
Is the lawns solution still removes plugs? like cores? or is it just a spiking aerator?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
Is the lawns solution still removes plugs? like cores? or is it just a spiking aerator?

The LS does pull plugs but not a ton of them like the Plugrs do.Soil conditions seem to make a big difference with the LS 21" aerifier if it will pulls plugs or not.It pokes plenty of holes but you won't always see alot of plugs on top of the grass.Some custs care about seeing plugs some don't .The LS machine is very easy on the operator while aerating compared to most machines on the market .And aerating in reverse is a big plus as it saves you from lifting the tines out of the ground every time you go to back up.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
The LS does pull plugs but not a ton of them like the Plugrs do.Soil conditions seem to make a big difference with the LS 21" aerifier if it will pulls plugs or not.It pokes plenty of holes but you won't always see alot of plugs on top of the grass.Some custs care about seeing plugs some don't .The LS machine is very easy on the operator while aerating compared to most machines on the market .And aerating in reverse is a big plus as it saves you from lifting the tines out of the ground every time you go to back up.
Ya no doubt that reversing would save you a lot of time, and it would be very efficient on small lawns with lots of obstacle. However, on bigger lawns, the Ryan machines are faster (if you can keep up with them lol) and they actually remove plugs which I find better then spiking a lawn.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
This is not the case her'e on new england soils. My lawn solutions wb pulls a lot of plugs. No need to make a second pass.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plugr OWNS all other walk behind units. I bought the PL855 over the weekend and I've hit a few lawns with it. I will post some pictures when I get time but it pulls a ton of plugs. It is a million times easier than my Classen was to use and I get a result that looks like I went over it 3 times. It takes a couple of lawns to get the hang of the controls but this machine has impressed me thus far.
Posted via Mobile Device