Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wasn't real sure where to post this one.....

I sold a new maintenance account. Its a pretty good sized commercial site, the rub, is that in an effort to reduce energy bills the company had EVERY SINGLE window tinted with a reflective film, not unlike what we see on cars sometimes. This reflective material apparently cooks the turf from the foundation out about 50-60 feet. We are preparing to adjust irrigation as best we can to accomdate this, anyone else face anything like this. If so might you have any words of advice?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I've seen this. They call it micro-climate. I had a building with 6' of grass sandwitched between a big southern facing block wall and a white concrete parking lot. It was always 20* hotter than the other areas.
I recommended they turn it into a dry bed with desert plantings.

I have another that's a courtyard. I'm going to suggest they renovate with some of that new "High Temperature Bluegrass". It was developed for use in southern states, but I think it'll do well in the courtyard cooker.

Sprinklers aren't a good way to cool an area. You'll still get those hot days that'll steam the turf to death.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Point....On the Irrigation thing. After a bit of research and discussion with our irrgation dept manager we backed off the adjusting run time idea. Not real likely that they'll go to the expense of tearing out and acre or so of turf to turn it into a desert area.......I like the idea, but after the winter we had here and the hammering they got from us to keep up with thier lot, I don't see extensive improvements as very likely.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I've seen that too. The company ignores the problem making it your problem. I'd go on record with the problem. Explain it to them in writing, on the bill not on a separate letter. The bill is the only thing they read and the only thing they keep.

But back to the problem. You might aerate the area and overseed with a drought tolerant cultivar. (Unless you've already put down your pre-emergence.)

Last edited by David Haggerty; 04-17-2011 at 08:26 AM.