Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
RT Mowing RT Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mid TN
Posts: 65
Edger attachment for Stihl FS90R ?

I was looking at these gearbox attachments on the Stihl website. Could I use the "FC edger" attachment on my FS90R?

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/...hangeable.html

My dealer said they had never even heard of the gearbox attachments before.

I could really use an edger but don't have the money for a whole new power unit right now. If somebody could clarify if this attachment will work on my trimmer or not, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Lazer_Z's Avatar
Lazer_Z Lazer_Z is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,642
RT, Yes, you can use ANY of the gearbox attachments on your FC90. Your dealer should know better, print out the page you linked and show them. If that fails, find a competent Stihl dealer that will sell you the gearbox attachments.
__________________
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM
RT Mowing RT Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mid TN
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
RT, Yes, you can use ANY of the gearbox attachments on your FC90. Your dealer should know better, print out the page you linked and show them. If that fails, find a competent Stihl dealer that will sell you the gearbox attachments.
Let me just say my dealer is a bit.... eccentric.

They're nice and they mean well but they're not real interested in the products they sell.

I had one salesman try to sell me the Kombi system edger attachment and I told him I didn't think that would work on my FS90. Another salesman said no, there is no edger attachment for the FS90. You can only use it as a weedeater. The local Kubota dealer also sells Stihl so I think I'll try them instead of the ACE hardware I've been going to.

The FC/FS designations were what had me confused. Wasn't sure if they were compatible but it's great to hear that they are.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Lazer_Z's Avatar
Lazer_Z Lazer_Z is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mowing View Post
Let me just say my dealer is a bit.... eccentric.

They're nice and they mean well but they're not real interested in the products they sell.

I had one salesman try to sell me the Kombi system edger attachment and I told him I didn't think that would work on my FS90. Another salesman said no, there is no edger attachment for the FS90. You can only use it as a weedeater. The local Kubota dealer also sells Stihl so I think I'll try them instead of the ACE hardware I've been going to.

The FC/FS designations were what had me confused. Wasn't sure if they were compatible but it's great to hear that they are.

Thanks for the help!
That's a real shame, if you go to a dealer that sells something you are interested they should, 9 times out of 10 know more than you. The only professional trimmer in the Stihl lineup that can't accept attachments is the FS 100 RX, the attachments on the Kombi shafts are the same they just cost a bit more $$ due to the shaft for the Kombi motors. If the first dealer would be willing to separate a shaft and attachment tell them you'll buy it.

Good luck! & I'm glad I could help.
__________________
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
RT Mowing RT Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mid TN
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
That's a real shame, if you go to a dealer that sells something you are interested they should, 9 times out of 10 know more than you. The only professional trimmer in the Stihl lineup that can't accept attachments is the FS 100 RX, the attachments on the Kombi shafts are the same they just cost a bit more $$ due to the shaft for the Kombi motors. If the first dealer would be willing to separate a shaft and attachment tell them you'll buy it.

Good luck! & I'm glad I could help.
Yeah, it's time to move on and find another dealer.

One more question, if you don't mind.

How time consuming is it to put the gearbox edger attachment on there? I want to edge and trim my yards so I'd have to swap out attachments for each yard. I'm hoping it's a quick swap.

Would the Kombi system be more practical?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 PM
avguy's Avatar
avguy avguy is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 528
I'll throw this out......I don't know what hp the FS90 is, but I have the FS85. It's a great trimmer but put something other than line on it (like a blade) & it really struggles power wise.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
rlitman rlitman is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mowing View Post
How time consuming is it to put the gearbox edger attachment on there? I want to edge and trim my yards so I'd have to swap out attachments for each yard. I'm hoping it's a quick swap.

Would the Kombi system be more practical?
A few more seconds than the Kombi system. It's two screws, and requires a torx tool. The Kombi is toolless.
The bigger difference, is that you need to clean the end before you insert it into the gearbox, to keep dirt out of the gearbox, and the attachment point on the Kombi is quite a bit farther away from where the dirt is stirred up, so it stays clean.

I'm the first to admit that I'm just a homeowner, and not in the business, and maybe I've gotten too used to my Kombi, but I find switching ends to be annoying at best.
OTOH, maybe if you had two machines, one a dedicated trimmer, and one a dedicated edger, it would be more palatable to switch ends, just while one was in the shop (but not every day). That way each machine is a backup to the other.

BTW, the FS90 is the newer 4mix replacement for the FS85. It's about the same HP. I had a dedicated FC85 edger, and it was ok, but my KM110 is MUCH better at edging. That little extra power makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
StihlBR600's Avatar
StihlBR600 StihlBR600 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: White Lake, MI
Posts: 705
I have the same set up your looking at. I paid $180 for the gearbox. I love it because you can use it to do bed edging with a Magnum edger blade because the FS90R has a solid shaft and the gearbox is geared lower than a regular dedicated edger. It is a little heavier than a FC90 but itll make you stronger You can swap out attachments i would say in about 3-4 minutes.
__________________


2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 AM
RT Mowing RT Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mid TN
Posts: 65
Thanks, all of you, for the great info. Sounds like either the Kombi or dedicated power units for each use would be the way to go. I'll have to see how it goes with the gearbox attachment and eventually get maybe a 130R for trimming.

I wouldn't mind having more power but first I need more yards so I can buy more shiny new equipment!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 AM
RT Mowing RT Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mid TN
Posts: 65
Read this, if you are able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mowing View Post
I'll have to see how it goes with the gearbox attachment and eventually get maybe a 130R for trimming.
Notice the discussion has moved towards getting another power unit for trimming only, which the 100RX would be perfect for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlBR600 View Post
I wouldnt bother with buying the 130R if your trimming with it every day. I use the FS100RX. It has the best power to weight ratio and has more than enough power for every day trimming. using the 130 every day will kill you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mowing View Post
I didn't know about the 100RX. It's a good bit lighter than my 90. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.11760 seconds with 7 queries