Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Innovative uses for BlackBerry to further the operation

Hey guys traded in my iPhone for a BlackBerry. Any innovative ways to use it to further the operation and expand the business? besides the obviuos email phone etc...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why did you decide to make the trade from IPhone to Blackberry? i have a blackberry and all i ever hear is that i should make the switch to iphone.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnPropertyServices View Post
why did you decide to make the trade from IPhone to Blackberry? i have a blackberry and all i ever hear is that i should make the switch to iphone.
Physical Keyboard is way easier to use! I have a mac and loved it so I bought the iPhone. Had it for a week and traded for another BlackBerry. The BB is the business workhorse the iPhone is simply a toy for entertainment. On the BB contacts are easier to manage and email and messages are easier to fire off. The lack of physical keyboard and bulkiness of the phone doesn't work in landscaping imho. Hope that helps!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNA View Post
Physical Keyboard is way easier to use! I have a mac and loved it so I bought the iPhone. Had it for a week and traded for another BlackBerry. The BB is the business workhorse the iPhone is simply a toy for entertainment. On the BB contacts are easier to manage and email and messages are easier to fire off. The lack of physical keyboard and bulkiness of the phone doesn't work in landscaping imho. Hope that helps!
Yeah the Iphone's screen is way too small and the IOS is locked down to the point to were your option are very very limited to what you can do without a computer.
I would not have went with Blackberry because it does not have as many good app as Android or the Iphone.

I use Android, There are over 50 different Android phone to choose from and most of them Have much bigger screens than apple so typing is not as big of an issue plus Android has voice command and voice dictation so you don't have to type.

I use MobileBiz Pro Invoice on my G-Slate witch is a 3D / 4G Android tablet, it lets me log time, products, list costumers and save there gps coordinates , create & send invoices via text, email, Bluetooth, WiFi or print, Create estimates, capture signatures, you can insert Paypal links when you send invoices via text or email, track operational costs per acct, track inventory, maintain a catalog of services you offer and track payments.

For now I'm using Mobile Credit Card Processing on my Tablet for charging CC but Google wallet is coming out this month for the Google Nexus S witch is the phone I have and it will enable me to make and receive CC payments by using the NFC chip inside by just tapping the CC or I can run the Numbers.

And that is only a few things that app does.

6.5ft x 14ft Trailer

2011 Exmark Lazer Z 52" with 27HP Kohler Command

1- 2011 36" Red Hawk Hydro W/B Mower with a electric start 18HP Honda GXV610 motor & Sulky

Echo SRM-230 Trimmer

21" Craftsman push mower with a 6.5 HP B&S motor
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i love my blackberry. i cant stand touch screen phones :/

Lawn Maintenance ~ Landscape Design ~ Snow/Ice Management
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have to agree, I don't like the touch phones. My wife has an EVO and I hate the "keyboard" even the swipe app is annoying. I just got a BlackBerry Style and its better than the Curve I had but its new and I still need to learn a few things on it. We don't get into texting or emailing any customer's so to me its just a phone. I will say the battery life isn't that great. It usually needs charged every night and I only have the weather channel app running.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like my blackberry.
A couple weeks back I was using a stick edger and was shaking when I finished. The phone rang...I talked, but when I hung up my shaky hands dropped the phone.

It cost $150. plus 12% tax here to fix it.
Had to put the sim card into an old motorola lazer so I could get phone calls while I waited for the repair
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
I really like my blackberry.
A couple weeks back I was using a stick edger and was shaking when I finished. The phone rang...I talked, but when I hung up my shaky hands dropped the phone.

It cost $150. plus 12% tax here to fix it.
Had to put the sim card into an old motorola lazer so I could get phone calls while I waited for the repair
try an otterbox phone cover on your next phone they really tough cases have saved my phone more then once
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the BB for my entire life great for appointments calender events emails pictures videos you name it it can do it

also use a hard clear plastic case not sure who makes it but it went through my mower last year and the phone didnt get much damage but the case was shot
Old 04-16-2011, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I leave my blackberry in the truck while I mow.

Definately look into the Otterbox Defender. It is the only way to go with ANY smartphone.