Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

How easy is it to use a bed edger?

I have a big job with 300 feet of bed edging and there is no way I am going to do it with a shovel. I am going to rent a bed edger, how hard is it to use? Is it easy to get the hang of?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you installing a bed or redefining? We used to rent the brown edger. Easy to use. It is a workout but 300' should be a piece of cake if you are redefining the edge.

We now use an echo handheld edger. Not as deep a cut but much quicker and easier.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Depending on the soil conditions, you can bed-edge 300' in 5-10 minutes. Some bed edgers are self propelled and some aren't. Check you local rental centers.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Sponsor

Our edgers are self propelled. Top speed is 110ft per minute. We have both bed opening blades and bed re-defining blades that can be used on the same machine. You use it while walking forward, unlike the brown.

http://www.turfteq.com/products_videos.html - click there to view some demo videos of how easy our different equipment is to use
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

You just pull, not push, the machine around the edging. Like previous posts, it goes pretty quick depending on soil conditions. Good forearm workout too. I use bed bug edger. It can make a mess when it kicks the dirt into the bed. If your remulching, just pull the dirt from the edge into the bed and mulch over. I charge 85¢ a foot. 300' = $255. Includes labor and cleanup. Then mulch it. (extra) If your renting a unit just for one job, it's not worth it unless you have more than 150'-175'. The going rate for a day rental is about $100 I think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty easy to use and like said previously, pull the exisiting mulch from the edges first because it will throw soil up along the edge.

But make sure to check with the customer regarding any invisible fences, shallow electric lines and any remote water spigots etc.

P.S. - When using a machine I've never used before I always try it out at my place first to get through the steep part of the learning curve before I show up at a customer's house.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

You just pull, not push, the machine around the edging. Like previous posts, it goes pretty quick depending on soil conditions. Good forearm workout too. I use bed bug edger. It can make a mess when it kicks the dirt into the bed. If your remulching, just pull the dirt from the edge into the bed and mulch over. I charge 85¢ a foot. 300' = $255. Includes labor and cleanup. Then mulch it. (extra) If your renting a unit just for one job, it's not worth it unless you have more than 150'-175'. The going rate for a day rental is about $100 I think.
Posted via Mobile Device