Register free!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bait Casting Reel

Just excited that I finally get to use my new rod and reel combo that I bought last year. I finally sat down and looked up videos and took the time to practice using a bait caster. I went and bought a abu garcia and a rod sponsored by skeet reese (dont know the name of the rod). Now I have to wait to go fish, supposd to go this weekend but plans might have changed cause my dads uncle passed and dont know when the funeral is going to be. Sry just was excited lol.
2012 Wright 32"
2011 Toro 32" wb Floating Deck w/ Kawi
2007 21" Snapper Hi-Vac w/ Kawi
2007 21" Heavy Duty Toro w/ Kawi
McLane Commerical Walk Behind Edger
Stihl FS 110R String Trimmer
Stihl FS110r String Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Stick Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HL 100K (135º)Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HS81T Hedge Trimmer

Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Baitcasters are all I use now. I probably have 15. Abu Garcia's last forever. My favorite is my old Quantum Accurist. Best braking system that I have used.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess my favorite is an old Lew's speed reel I've had for 20+ years. I tend to hold on to things I love. But there ain't no flies on the Abu Garcias. I have a handfull of those to.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
Baitcasters are all I use now. I probably have 15. Abu Garcia's last forever. My favorite is my old Quantum Accurist. Best braking system that I have used.
yeah well i wanted to get the skeet reese reel and rod but they wanted 300 freaking dollars for the reel and i wasnt dropping that kind of money. so i got the exact same reel without the skeet reese colors and name for half the price. i know one thing that **** can cast a mile. im going to get my hands on the skeet reese reel one of these days and have a matching combo. my fav color is yellow and having a yellow rod and yellow reel, man thats a preeeeeeety pic
2012 Wright 32"
Stihl FC 110 Stick Edger

Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have one Garcia bait caster, they are great reels but they can be a real mess if you dont know how to use them, it took me quite a while of picking out rat nests before i got use to them.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ooo that sux. i had the same proab still i started watching videos and my dad mentioned to me that he read about them some. told me that i needed to use a hevier line and more weight. u should be using no less then 12 lb test line and then a heavier lure. but i dont really think the lure weight can completely determine how good the reek is and if your gonna have proabs with it. u should need to get a lighter reel and rod for lighter lures. and you have to member that you need to have the brakes set and the lil knob on the side that controls how fast how fast the line comes off the spool. good luck if you still have issues.
2012 Wright 32"
Stihl FC 110 Stick Edger

Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah ive got it figured out pretty well now Thanks for the tips that was when i first started using them when i was like 14, im 33 now so i have had a few yrs of experience with them.

i use spiderwire on most my reels lasts for ever and unbreakable
Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well this is a bit off topic but I started out with spinning reels. You cast with your right hand and take up line with your left (back in my day the handles weren't interchangeable) so when I made the transition to bait casters it felt really uncomfortable to switch hands after the cast. So I use a left handed bait casting reel. I cast with my right and reel with my left. It seems very natural to me. You never switch hands and you are ready as soon as the lure hits the water. Since then I have noticed that some pros had taught themselves to use a left handed reel so they can set the hook with the strong hand and be ready for a quick strike.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
Well this is a bit off topic but I started out with spinning reels. You cast with your right hand and take up line with your left (back in my day the handles weren't interchangeable) so when I made the transition to bait casters it felt really uncomfortable to switch hands after the cast. So I use a left handed bait casting reel. I cast with my right and reel with my left. It seems very natural to me. You never switch hands and you are ready as soon as the lure hits the water. Since then I have noticed that some pros had taught themselves to use a left handed reel so they can set the hook with the strong hand and be ready for a quick strike.
I use spinning and bait casters, spinning left handed and bait casters right handed. I have tried and wish I could get use to the left handed bait casters. You are right about the quick hook set and ready to reel in right away. Also, you are getting alot more casts in per day if you are fishing all day. The more the lure is in the water the more we are apt to catch fish.

Catch a big one.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I take my bait cast with me on most every trip but for some reason it sees very little use. Now my two spin cast reels on the other hand get plenty of use.

Congrats on the real!!!

What kinda fishing do you do?