Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Small Truck for mowing MPG?

Hey Guys,

With the high gas prices, I am trying to think of ways to cut back and keep my fuel expenses under budget.

I'm considering changing my mowing crew to a small truck, like an S-10 or something similar. I switched from an enclosed trailer to a small flatbed, and the difference in fuel consumption is quite noticable.

Now with the flatbed, they only carry a single 48" Zturn, 2 push mowers, and misc trimmers, edgers, blowers. Its really not that much weight.

I was thinking an S-10 might get me another MPG or two. Has anyone tried this, if so what kind of mileage do you get pulling? I'm getting 9mpg on average with the full size truck.

BTW, this setup is only used 100% for mowing lawns, 5 days a week, carrying a crew of 2. I don't need it to pull a bobcat, 4 tons of stone, or a dump trailer full of mulch. Just 2 people and some lawn equipment. I have other trucks for that.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about the size of your flat bed but there is a good size company here that uses tacomas and 5x10 trailers to run route work off of. They usually have 2 48'' WB's, 21, and handhelds. The only thing that I would want is to add brakes to the trailer as most small trailers don't come with brakes.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
Not sure about the size of your flat bed but there is a good size company here that uses tacomas and 5x10 trailers to run route work off of. They usually have 2 48'' WB's, 21, and handhelds. The only thing that I would want is to add brakes to the trailer as most small trailers don't come with brakes.
We have a company like that too, a very large company. I've seen at least 20 trucks (not all lawn mowing setups, but still) lined up at the end of the road waiting to turn on the highway on the morning.

I'm really curious about the mileage. I'm thinking S-10 but mabye theres something to the Tacoma
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
I would go with a Nissan Frontier with the 4.0 V6 it is the best midsize truck on the market, and the 4.0 pulls like a V8 without the gas guzzling. I'm certain you would get more than 9 mpg I'm betting a good bit more.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 05-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I would go with a Nissan Frontier with the 4.0 V6 it is the best midsize truck on the market, and the 4.0 pulls like a V8 without the gas guzzling.
Do you have personal experience with them? Have you ever checked the mileage?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
Do you have personal experience with them? Have you ever checked the mileage?
Yes I've owned several Nissans over the years, I had a 06 Frontier with the 4.0 when I was married but regretfully gave it to the wife, it is a great truck It out pulls my ranger by a long shot, mileage runs around 21-25 without a trailer not sure with the trailer never checked it with one. But they are very dependable trucks. I'm trying to get her to let me have it back LOL

Last edited by cpllawncare; 05-03-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a 05 tacoma v6 It pulls a 6.5 x 12 with a 48 walk behind, push mower and misc. items also loaded with clippings by the end of the day just fine. I get about 14mpg towing and about 20 when not towing. they're great trucks. Just change the oil and drive. I'm looking to buying another one for plowing this winter I'll use it for smaller drives.
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Nissan frontier 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. I pull a 5x12, 52" ZTR, 21" push, and handhelds. I get in the low twenties while pulling, high twenties when I'm not pulling the trailer. I have it set up to get the most MPGs possible, with cold air intake, exhaust, etc.
LawnSite Gold Member

I would look for an auto, regular cab, low mileage 2x4 truck and if not the color you want get a cheap paint job.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if they are for sale in the U.S. yet, but Mahindras new diesel pickup truck supposed to get 25-30 mpg. In the pictures it looks like the regular cab long bed would make a nice flat bed lawnmower hauler.