Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting Mohawks from my Exmark lazer z

Started getting Mohawks while using my 48" lazer z...only thing I can think of was dull blades so I changed from hi lift to hi lift mulching and didn't change... It's killing my productivity as I'm having to mow lawns twice with it...which customers like but as stated kills my valuable time.

Was told a few times to up the blade rpms on the mower by altering the carb throttle stop or linkage to carb to allow for rpms...I don't feel this is the correct way of fixing my issue.

I need help...any ideas please help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have a Lazer, only a TTHP, and I will get the "mowhawks" when the grass is think like in the spring/early fall or sometimes on turns. Otherwise it cuts fine. Totally guessing here....using the right length blades? Is it always the same side?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

It seems to me it would be on the left side between the 1-2 blade, seems like it does it on longer grass more, but it never happened last year, I have 3 sets of blades and they are all 16 1/4 length 5/8" hole as recommended by Exmark
Def noticible with the dandelions too, it will leave a few still standing which is very noticeable
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMProperty View Post
It seems to me it would be on the left side between the 1-2 blade, seems like it does it on longer grass more, but it never happened last year, I have 3 sets of blades and they are all 16 1/4 length 5/8" hole as recommended by Exmark
Def noticible with the dandelions too, it will leave a few still standing which is very noticeable
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you hit something and weak the deck? Possibly another bad blade? I would check everything from tire pressure to spindles. Sounds like dull blades.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire pressure is good I haven't hit anything with the mower and I've changed blade sets twice less than 20 hours on each set same result
Only real difference is switched from old Re sharpened hi lift blades to new hi lift gator mulchers
I know if I slow down a ton it doesn't do it but adding 20 minutes to each lawn adds 3 hours to a day

Is it really just the higher thicker spring grass causing my troubles versus the shorter fall grasses?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check out this thread from back in the day...I think you will find it beneficial. Post #28 is where it all comes together. I've given this advice ever since...You have to use solid foil blades - without the notch in them. They should be medium lift through this thick wet grass, too. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...hlight=streaks

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok going tomorrow to get solid foil hi lift blades by Exmark....let ya know how it goes Sunday Monday when I put 24 hours on them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had any trouble with Exmark Ultra Cuts missing grass with notched high lifts. Could you have play in a spindle? grass build up? belt slipping? How high are you cutting? Mine will miss grass with gator type blades because of the decreased lift. Have you hit anything that would make the spindles out of line?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Everything is tight I am ordering new blade belt and new blades, never hit anything...I mow at 3.25-3.5 depending on area and as low as 3
I will let ya know come Monday when I switch blades and as soon as I get belt changed as well
The more I think it's been since I changed to the gator blades
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a triton deck problem. Do you have a triton deck or ultra cut. Are you discharging or have a mulch kit installed? I have a ton of experience with exmark so maybe I can help if I had a little more info.
Posted via Mobile Device