Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-06-2002, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere SST

Anyone out there have any experience with the John Deere SST? I recently purchased the SST18 and really like it. I got a really good deal and it fits my mowing needs perfectly. I have no problems operating it but I wanted to know if anyone has any information regarding the reliability of this machine or anything else I might need to be concerned about. I have searched the web and there is not much info out there on the SST. The few discussions groups I have looked into really don't have any first hand experience with these. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
Old 07-10-2003, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Im in Australia ( Melbourne) I purchased an SST16 eighteen months ago , the only real problem I have with it is the zero turn leaving skid marks on any slightly damp areas and the cost of blades.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Any new input for this thread?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought one back in 2001 with the mulch kit. It has been a very reliable mower, I've had no problems with it mechanically. It will not hold a hill at all. It would be a very good mower for a homeowner with a fairly flat yard. For myself, I should have spent the little bit extra and bought a commercial ZTR mower.

'00 F-250 PSD 4x4 CrewCab
'03 Walker 42" GHS
'06 Huster Super Mini Z
RedMax Trimmers
Stihl FC85 Stick Edger
RedMax 7001 Blowers
Old 08-24-2004, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Terrible on any kind of slope. Has been discontinued, so good pricing is available on existing inventory.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I am looking at a used JD SST-16. Does anyone know what these sold for new before they were discontinued, so I have a frame of reference for price? Thanks-Bill
Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Brand new in '01 I paid $4200 for mine. 42" cut and included the mulch kit.

'00 F-250 PSD 4x4 CrewCab
'03 Walker 42" GHS
'06 Huster Super Mini Z
RedMax Trimmers
Stihl FC85 Stick Edger
RedMax 7001 Blowers
Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Finally! I was beginning to think that I was the only person in the world that bought one of these.

I bought an SST16 in 1992; 42C deck w/7 bu. bagger and recycler plug.

Mowhigh is right on about being terrible on hills. In 1993 I got a rear weight kit [80#] to help with that problem and it does so long as the grass is dry. I just do yearly maintenance like change oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs & vacuum filters. Repairs I have had to do: Replace gas tank [2nd year] and Replace steering actuators [this year]. I would suggest that you purchase a Tech Manual for the machine because they are fairly complicated to work on and JD dealer shop labor is very pricey [at least in my area, it is $90K per hour].

BPCHAMLEE, a new machine sold for around $4K. A used one in good condition is now around $2K.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

No ccecilm, you are not the only poor sucker who bought this machine.
I bought mine (SST16) new in 2001 for $4500.00. I am mowing 3 acres with it & haven't had much in the way of trouble until this year, aside from the hill mowing problem.
Mine wont steer very well at all. The local shop wasn't much help ."..maybe your engine is bad." was the response after a phone call to them! I perform the same annual maintenance you do. I replaced the vacuum filters with very little results. The John Deere site of course says to consult my local dealer for the tech manual or call the 1800 #.

Is there an online source for the tech manual, maybe PDF format?

I believe my problem lies with the steering actuators/switches or in the vacuum lines.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

sst16YUK,
I do not know of an online tech manual but I do have one on CD. Steering actuators were the source of my "loss of steering" problem. They are very easy to replace once you get down to them. Contact me personally for info on how to obtain a tech CD ( cecil.mckinney@sbcglobal.net )