Register free!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any campers here? Advice on towing

I am towing a new 26ft Camper and the weight unloaded is about 7500lbs. The problem I have is that when I tow it, I find that it tends to bounce? I had a smaller 22ft that seemed to do the same thing.

I have an Ford F150 Platinum and the truck pulls it fine, but I just get that hop or bounce. I am using a Reese mount with the Trunnion bars. I sometimes use the sway bar, but not unless it is long distance. This is my mount http://www.activetrailerparts.com/pr...%252d0675.html I can lower or raise the ball on the mount, but I am not sure that this is the cause or is it? So any one towing a camper with a halfton experience this problem or have a fix or is this the way it is!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My father owned a recreational trailer manufacturing company and he also rented them.

All I can offer trailer users, is to keep the weight balanced and over the wheels.
Not all at the front or the back.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the shocks in the truck are either being over worked or wearing/worn out. I don't know how old the truck is and how many miles or if the shocks have ever been changed out. But i that is the 1st thing that i would check.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You find what tends to bounce? The truck? The trailer? Both?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you over loaded the truck. I have a 28' with 2 slides and weights 7500lbs but I pull it with a 2500 Dodge. You have to remember just because you can pull 7500lbs doesn't mean your truck can control it with the weight or even stopping it.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Sounds like you over loaded the truck. I have a 28' with 2 slides and weights 7500lbs but I pull it with a 2500 Dodge. You have to remember just because you can pull 7500lbs doesn't mean your truck can control it with the weight or even stopping it.
I was thinking along the same lines, but thought I'd be a nice guy first for once.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
I am towing a new 26ft Camper and the weight unloaded is about 7500lbs. The problem I have is that when I tow it, I find that it tends to bounce? I had a smaller 22ft that seemed to do the same thing.

I have an Ford F150 Platinum and the truck pulls it fine, but I just get that hop or bounce. I am using a Reese mount with the Trunnion bars. I sometimes use the sway bar, but not unless it is long distance. This is my mount http://www.activetrailerparts.com/pr...%252d0675.html I can lower or raise the ball on the mount, but I am not sure that this is the cause or is it? So any one towing a camper with a halfton experience this problem or have a fix or is this the way it is!

I would start at the cheapest thing first rotate and balance all tires.
while the tires are being balanced have the tires shop test the for uneven wear on your trailer tires from having the tire brakes lock up could cause them to flat top.
Do a test drive if you STILL have the SAME problem then I would check the trailer height difference between your tow rig could cause the front trailer axle to leave the ground on certain roads causing a bump.
That should get you started if problem persists I/we can help.
BTW look at your Ujoints in the driveshaft alot of wear could cauld cause that to.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

An F-150 is a light suspension truck. Its more "springy". Designed more for ride comfort than work.

The only solution to make it stiffer and less bouncy will probably be to have heavier springs installed, though air bags might help, but I have no experience with those
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a good chance you might have too heavy of a trunion bar and it is actually unspringing the rear end of your truck, causing the bouncing.

Any idea what the tongue weight is?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pitch of the trailer and the tongue weight can make a huge difference in how it tows. I would experiment with different hitch heights, especially since it's adjustable.