Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2002, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My New Website

I finially finished my new web site Sunday night. I'm hoping this will bring in some more work. Maybe some of you guys would be kind enough to check it out and tell me what you think, and feel free to be honest. Keep in mind that this is a work in progress (needs photos and there's probably a couple typos). I'm not about to put it on my business cards yet...you'll see why!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Please tell me this is a hoax. I got one hell of a laugh from it.

"Business hours are by appointment only. We take a lot of vacations, are often out all night partying, are sometimes detained by authorities, or too drunk to stand, so please call first. If our phone service has been disconneted, please try again in a week or two." ROFLMAO

"Our motto is half-*** at half price...if you want it done right, call someone else!" Once again, you're killing me.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got some dog crap in my yard you can come get!!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
check it out and tell me what you think, and feel free to be honest.
Ok. I will. ;-)

First thing, pop-up ads are BAD! Annoying as heck. Find another place to host this site without pop-up ads.

URL is too long. When you get the $, get your own domain. They aren't all THAT expensive. About $35 to get the domain name and I know people who can host the site for you on a reliable server for about $10 a month.

The main page needs some text and a picture. It is very plain.

Oh! It gets worse!!! Pop-ups continue every time you click on one of the hyperlinks. As a potential customer, I am going to leave this site as quick as possible if this continues....

Quote:
periodic butchering of all shrubs and hedges
What the heck is that??? I don't know if I'd want my hedges "butchered". That doesn't sound good.

Ok, I get it. The butchering thing was humor. Kinda like the entire text in the "business hours" section.

I'd get rid of all humor like this. It comes across wrong and chances are a client isn't going to be clicking on every link to figure out you're just kidding. They'll click on one link and think, "What the heck???" and leave. It just isn't professional.

Some of the humor on the site is maybe ok. The phrase about dyeing the lawns, "green, brown, pink or yellow" is probably not very easily misunderstood. Although, personally, I'd get rid of that too. But most of the other humor on the site might not be understood as being humor and should go.

You're advertising for "dog crap removal"?? Do you guys seriously offer this service? Eek!

Quote:
Our motto is half-*** at half price
Again, this is easily misunderstood and even if it is understood I am not sure I'd hire a company that had stuff like this on a web site. It just doesn't give me a feeling of professionalism.

Is the scalping the lawn and dyeing it 3 times per year really something you do? If not, that should be removed too. Again, I can't tell whether you're serious or not with all this stuff.

Honest overall opinion; Site looks pretty decent aesthetically (except for the lack of any text or pictures on the main page). But most of the text needs to be redone. And obviously some pictures or graphics need to be introduced throughout the web site.

As it is now, the site is little more than a gimmick and if it's goal is to actually attract new business, I am not sure it would accomplish that goal very well.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-08-2002, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mac - I'm truly offended!

The best part is that Tripod hosts it for free.

Like I said, I'm not about to put it on my business cards.

Darryl
Old 10-08-2002, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

By the way, if this was all just a joke then you are a jerk for wasting my time. If it's not, then hopefully my constructive criticism helped you.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-08-2002, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jim - Thanks for the excellent comments regarding getting another site and sorry if I wasted your time, but I did put this up for ENTERTAINMENT VALUE ONLY. I stayed up late Sunday and had a little fun.

Darryl
Old 10-08-2002, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont know about anybody else but that wuz well worth my time- thanks for the entertainment!
-Coop
Old 10-09-2002, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

darryl

I couldn't stop laughing. Everyone is so stressed these days, It's nice to see that someone spent time on a well-done spoof and needed diversion from the everyday problems of running a business.

Thanks for starting my day with laugh and a smile.

Tom
Old 10-09-2002, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just hope that a potential customer stumbles across your website by mistake......they might not laugh so much. It was good humor. I was laughing the moment I saw your name...."Landcare & Lawnscalping". There was a site that somebody posted on a thread that was from Corpus Christi, if I remember correctly. It was not quite this sarcastic, but his was in all honesty....it was a riot.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci