Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2011, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Thoughts on Equipment to start

I am a 25 yr old father of two girls who are having a hard time with dad working out of town. While making good money I am wanting to purchase equipment now before quit my job so that I have lower operating cost. Will be getting insured and licensed and maybe fertilization license. I have 2 semesters until I finish an associates in business management(just fyi). I am a proud owner of a 2010 Scag Turf Tiger 48" (150 hrs)that I bought from wife's Grandmothers who just let her business go. I have a heavily used echo backpack blower that I plan to replace with two Stihl models so me and an employee can do fall cleanup faster. At the moment I own a Husq 224L which is the 4-stroke model. I love it around my 5 acre property but not sure what the pros (you all) have to say about them. I would like two of them and one Stihl edger but I am hessitant about the 4 strokes for fear of someone putting wrong gas in them. Have a 21" JD WB and a Toro 21" WB with honda moter that I would replace later.Any thoughts and constructive critisism are very welcome. Also thinking about 12-14' enclosed trailer. Want all equipment paid for at one time right before I start in cash.

Last edited by Want_to_mow; 05-24-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man if you can start with that equip paid for, you should be in great shape as far as equip goes, keep your operating expenses down and you should be alright, good luck it's a great feeling working for yourself, especially if your making money.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

It's always a good idea to start with the minimum amount of equipment until your cashflow can pay for the rest.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for advice so far. Need to correct that its a Tiger Cat..don't know why I typed Turf Tiger. Then again it was 1AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally I wouldn't gop for enclosed as high as gas is getting, unless you don't have a place to store your equipment. Between the money you would save in buying it plus gas in the long run. That's just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
advice , equipment , startup