Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
kubotafan kubotafan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wilmot, Nova Scotia
Posts: 210
Kubota and John Deere Decks and Cuts

I am shopping for a zero turn and the most convenient in my area would be Kubota or John Deere. How does the cut compare between a Kubota Pro Fabricated deck and the John Deere Pro deck. I do like the idea of the mulch on demand John Deere deck but like the Kubota diesel too. I don't want to go any heavier than I have too and the Kubota might be slightly less but not enough to make a difference. Likely be a 920 Deere or a 221 Kubota. I like the Walker Mowers too but the dealer is almost two hours away and they are not common in this area. I would like to try one but hate to have a dealer come this far to demo and I am busy enough I don't really have the time to go there.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,224
you are gonna get different opinions but nothing cuts as good as a deere....i'm sure the kubota cut is fine though but i don't have any experience with them...the cut on my z920a is flawless...here's a vid

you can fast forward to 3:30 to get a good view of how it cuts

__________________

Last edited by weeze; 05-30-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
you are gonna get different opinions but nothing cuts as good as a deere....i'm sure the kubota cut is fine though but i don't have any experience with them...the cut on my z920a is flawless...here's a vid

you can fast forward to 3:30 to get a good view of how it cuts



Not to knock you but holy mother of god could you go much slower? In the time you made two circles around the front I would have been done cutting and already trimming.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
kubotafan kubotafan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wilmot, Nova Scotia
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Not to knock you but holy mother of god could you go much slower? In the time you made two circles around the front I would have been done cutting and already trimming.
Is that with a Kubota?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
kubotafan kubotafan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wilmot, Nova Scotia
Posts: 210
How well do cuts compare when cutting back and forth. One pass will blow the grass on uncut lawn and the next pass will have to cut where the grass was blown. Does this affect the cut quality? How well do the clippings spread?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnCareNoobie's Avatar
LawnCareNoobie LawnCareNoobie is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotafan View Post
How well do cuts compare when cutting back and forth. One pass will blow the grass on uncut lawn and the next pass will have to cut where the grass was blown. Does this affect the cut quality? How well do the clippings spread?
7 Iron Deck does a very good job at spreading the clippings. That's another thing that's a plus with the deck. I'm not sure about the Kubota deck, but the 7 Iron has a pretty wide discharge opening and even with the chute flap down it spreads well. In most cases I find that it does a better job with dispersal of clippings with it down than up.

As far as diesel goes, I can't understand why Deere doesn't add a smaller diesel option in their lineup. They have one which is the 997 with the 31 hp Yanmar (beast). They have smaller Yanmars in their machines, they need to add it to a z-track.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Not to knock you but holy mother of god could you go much slower? In the time you made two circles around the front I would have been done cutting and already trimming.
yeah it had been 3 weeks since i cut the yard in the video and it was pretty thick...hard to tell on the video...but centipede grass is a really thick grass....plus i wasn't in a big hurry since that was the only yard i had to cut that day lol.

i generally don't go that fast on smaller yards like that one...i only go fast on the bigger wide open yards....i don't like to be rushed or be in a hurry...i take my time and do a good job and work at my own pace...that's why i got into lawn care so i could work how i wanted to work and be on my own time schedule.
__________________

Last edited by weeze; 05-31-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
yeah it had been 3 weeks since i cut the yard in the video and it was pretty thick...hard to tell on the video...but centipede grass is a really thick grass....plus i wasn't in a big hurry since that was the only yard i had to cut that day lol.

i generally don't go that fast on smaller yards like that one...i only go fast on the bigger wide open yards....i don't like to be rushed or be in a hurry...i take my time and do a good job and work at my own pace...that's why i got into lawn care so i could work how i wanted to work and be on my own time schedule.

Ok I gotcha. We don't cut that type of grass here. All of our grass is fescue. Does that lawn have much of a backyard? If the back is about the same size as the front that is a $20 to $25 lawn in our area.

I have to knock them out in volume to make any money with the low prices around here. I showed up in a neighborhood this morning at 7am that we have 8 lawns on one block. I was pulling away at 9:15. That is about 17 minutes each to cut, trim and blow off and that included stopping to talk for a minute to 2 customers wanting to know how my dad was doing. Went 3 blocks over and did one then 2 blocks and did 1 then 10 minutes up the street and did 2 then 5 minutes away another 2 then another 2 minutes and did 1 and was burning up by then so I headed home at 12 and had 15 done. Heat index today of 105.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Ok I gotcha. We don't cut that type of grass here. All of our grass is fescue. Does that lawn have much of a backyard? If the back is about the same size as the front that is a $20 to $25 lawn in our area.

I have to knock them out in volume to make any money with the low prices around here. I showed up in a neighborhood this morning at 7am that we have 8 lawns on one block. I was pulling away at 9:15. That is about 17 minutes each to cut, trim and blow off and that included stopping to talk for a minute to 2 customers wanting to know how my dad was doing. Went 3 blocks over and did one then 2 blocks and did 1 then 10 minutes up the street and did 2 then 5 minutes away another 2 then another 2 minutes and did 1 and was burning up by then so I headed home at 12 and had 15 done. Heat index today of 105.
at the end of the video it has 3 pics...the first is the front yard and the second is the backyard..third is the side of the house...i get $40 for the yard and it takes about 45min....the yard is about 1/3 acre or so...most of the yards i do are bigger than this one....a full day for me is about 5 yards or so...some are big as 3 acres and my smallest is a commercial lot by the highway that takes 10min to cut lol.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
rmslawns's Avatar
rmslawns rmslawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Youngsville NC
Posts: 161
I have the same JD 920. Really like it. Only issue is the bumpy ride at times. i have learned to wear a seat belt. Do you have a suspension seat on yours?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.09721 seconds with 8 queries