Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many BAT's are there?

After looking at ROTAR's thread it got me wondering: I'd always considered backflow testing to be an integral part of irrigation installation and maintenance. I know there's a few on the forum that test, and I've heard reasons why others do not test (because no one told them to), but I'm curious how many members test. By the way, testing is very lucrative if you've got a purveyor that gives a rat's ass. Turn them into the State Health Dept. if they have no "program". It's a public health issue that seems to me to be our responsibility. What do you think and do you test?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I test, but not my own. I refuse to take the liability of something happening after I install my own DCA. I fork up the $ to get another guy to come test, so there is no conflict of interest.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

will be taking the certification class in august. prolly wont do a single test for a while after that. not too much in the way of enforcement in NJ
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
will be taking the certification class in august. prolly wont do a single test for a while after that. not too much in the way of enforcement in NJ
PM me your purveyor's e-mail; I'll be glad to inform them of the National Clean Water Act, I will not mention your name. Any of you other guys are welcome to do the same.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Strictly enforced here. The water co's send out letters early spring wanting test results by June and threaten to pull the meter if not received.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are certified and step on a property to do some other service work it seems to me you become liable for that backflow whether you test it or not. My advice to anybody who has asked me about that stuff is unless you plan to test and be the enforcer then stay away. Plenty of other things to get certified for that don't expose you to liability.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
If you are certified and step on a property to do some other service work it seems to me you become liable for that backflow whether you test it or not.
Nope, you simply call the purveyor and report in. Around here, most testers will put a tag on the BF indicating when it was tested. You TOUCH a backflow assembly, without concurring with the purveyor and try to do some c.s. "repair" then your ass is grass should an "incident" occur.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My advice is to get backflow certified and reap on the profits it may provide. Plus protecting our drinking water. The water co's don't make a dime they are forced to do this.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they become as strict about it as they are in Indy then I say absolutely. If enforcement is lax then its a crapshoot unless you market to other irrigators who do installs. (In TX) May change or be changing. I think they are spending more time trying to figure out how to limit water usage not protect water quality.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Backflow prevention program here just moved from the city's responsibility to the main water purveyor's responsibility.