Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Adding organic matter to bermuda

Have a Bermuda lawn that isn't as thick or green as it should be. I've been treating it for the last year or two. We have aerated once a year, fertilized heavy and done a few lime applications. I'm thinking the organic matter is low. I'm gonna aerate it this week and thought about top dressing it with some peat or something.

Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had good results applying a soluble humate concentrate with some N, K and micronutrients on thin lawns. A soil test to check pH and P levels is also a good idea. Peat and solid organic matter can form a hydrophobic layer on top of the soil, especially if it allowed to dry.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I have had good results applying a soluble humate concentrate with some N, K and micronutrients on thin lawns. A soil test to check pH and P levels is also a good idea. Peat and solid organic matter can form a hydrophobic layer on top of the soil, especially if it allowed to dry.

can also increase the chance of fairy ring in bermuda lawns, Be carefull the compost is fully composted, decomposing organic matter is considered a major contributor to fairy ring development.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks guys. what would you add? Just topdress with sand? Its the front of a house that was built 5 or so years ago. I figured they striped a lot of topsoil off when grading and compaction is causing this. Its about 2-3k in front of the house. sides and back are pretty nice.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Washed sand is always good for bermuda grass, especially if the lawn needs leveling so it can be cut with the proper mower. I do not like to see rotary mowers on bermuda. Then you fertilize. I like 1 lb N per month of growing season and additional P, K, micronutrients as indicated by soil testing/tissue testing.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Washed sand is always good for bermuda grass, especially if the lawn needs leveling so it can be cut with the proper mower. I do not like to see rotary mowers on bermuda. Then you fertilize. I like 1 lb N per month of growing season and additional P, K, micronutrients as indicated by soil testing/tissue testing.
Yup! Too often we just pound bermuda with N and forget about the K and micros needed, and bermuda really benefits from high K apps. It will luxury feed on K, and high K apps promote disease resistance in bermuda. Try a 1-0-1 ratio fert.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I feed all lawns every 30-45 days, including centipede grass. Not once have I seen or had to deal with problems associated with too much fertilizer. 1--0-1 is what I mix for centipede, 2-0-1 is usual for bermuda, st augustine and zoysia, with adjustments in total rate for each grass. My sign that I am not keeping up or putting down enough fertilizer is the appearance of dollar spot and leaf spot. One more thing, no coated urea.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
My sign that I am not keeping up or putting down enough fertilizer is the appearance of dollar spot and leaf spot. One more thing, no coated urea.
My sign is helminthosporium. And I avoid any urea like the plague.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
You know, I feed all lawns every 30-45 days, including centipede grass. Not once have I seen or had to deal with problems associated with too much fertilizer. 1--0-1 is what I mix for centipede, 2-0-1 is usual for bermuda, st augustine and zoysia, with adjustments in total rate for each grass. My sign that I am not keeping up or putting down enough fertilizer is the appearance of dollar spot and leaf spot. One more thing, no coated urea.
Please educate me. Why no coated urea? I like the sulfur coated urea especially in SA to help keep the soil PH down. Is this a bad thing? I treat lawns on a six week schedule.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Please educate me. Why no coated urea? I like the sulfur coated urea especially in SA to help keep the soil PH down. Is this a bad thing? I treat lawns on a six week schedule.
The amount of sulfur in SCU is inconsequential. Plus that coating is easily cracked, releasing all the urea at once. In fact, I recall our LS friend Tremor remarking that typically 35-50% of the sulfur coating is cracked during transport.

If you want sulfur - and sulfur is ALWAYS beneficial in our high pH soils, use ammonium sulfate as your N source. Better color, longer lasting, and less disease pressure than urea.

I used a 50/50 mix of AS and Houactinite (biosolids) for round 3 last week.