Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Dicamba for ajuga?

Ajuga is taking over the grass; with common broadleaf spray, even in high concentration, the ajuga just smiles and asks for more. (Owner doesn't want herbicide treatment that will kill the grass. I tried mowing low and swear the ajuga just re-leafed lower.)

I've been told that this ground cover has a protective waxy coating, and I should use straight dicamba with surfactant added. Any comments? (I know care is needed because dicamba is powerful and long-lasting.)

Also, can anybody tell me if straight dicamba, or if broadleaf combinations with a higher proportion of dicamba than usual, can be purchased without permits in NY, PA, WV, VA or NC, and if so, where and under what brand names?

Thanks, guys, grateful for any help.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I buy straight Dicamba from United Supplier. I mix it with my 2,4D in all but my Summer application. In the Summer I use Dicamba, at a rate of 1 pint per 100 gal. of water, mixed with a grassy weed killler.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Gus, but can you also tell me the brand name, and if it can be purchased without any licences or permits (at least in OK)?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try something with triclopyr in the formula plus dicamba. Dicamba by itself is a risk to trees by root absorption--too water soluble.
Ajuga is not a major problem around here. Repeated applications by spot spray should do the job--add surfactant.
And you are in Canada--are you allowed to use anything at all?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trade name ofr Dicamba is Banvil. PBI Gordons has 2,4D plus Dicamba which I can purchase at a local farm store.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Canada is reasonable about products that can be sold, but individual provinces can impose stricter limitations, and the two most restrictive ones are Ontario (where I live) and Quebec. So it would be legal for me to bring it into the county even if I can't buy it locally.

I'm looking for brand names of and retailers for concentrates of broad-leaf herbicides that you recommend when I'm driving through NY, PA, WV, VA, and NC.