Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Spittlebug & Chinch Bug relationship

I use herbicide regulary to control turf pests. My last application was 2 weeks ago with a Bayer pesticide applied at the heaviest rate recomended. I do not see any activity of spiders, grubs, or chinch bugs but there are a TON of Spittlebugs the black and red ones.

Could this mean My pesticide is not working properly and could soon see infestations of chinch bugs or does the herbicide not kill Spittlebugs like chinch bugs.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What? ...?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I use pesticide .....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspot321 View Post
I use herbicide regulary to control turf pests. My last application was 2 weeks ago with a Bayer pesticide applied at the heaviest rate recomended. I do not see any activity of spiders, grubs, or chinch bugs but there are a TON of Spittlebugs the black and red ones.

Could this mean My pesticide is not working properly and could soon see infestations of chinch bugs or does the herbicide not kill Spittlebugs like chinch bugs.
Redspot

You either should be posting in the homeowner forum or looking for a big fine from the Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control. Because you sure don't have a clue which end is up when it comes to lawn care. If you are a homeowner, Hire a pro. If you are yard boy stop applying Pesticides.

Sorry your question is so far out of line We don't know where to start to answer it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Redspot

You either should be posting in the homeowner forum or looking for a big fine from the Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control. Because you sure don't have a clue which end is up when it comes to lawn care. If you are a homeowner, Hire a pro. If you are yard boy stop applying Pesticides.

Sorry your question is so far out of line We don't know where to start to answer it.
right on with this one, my thoughts too
Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Redspot,
Before you become a light snack to the ill effects of big dog bites..........answer this one simple question. What Insecticide are you applying for these spittlebugs???

I don't have spittlebug problems here in my area but after reading and research, if you are having adult bugs present, then your insecticides will not effect flying insects as they are avoiding the poison. All you are doing is controlling the nymphs and remotely the eggs. Again--What insecticide are you using as this will effect the outcome of the problem.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

are you sure their spittlebugs, got a pic?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug-guy View Post
are you sure their spittlebugs, got a pic?
When he said black bugs with red stripes I was pretty sure that was right about it being spittle bugs. Little Rock has had an extremely bad problem with both spittle and chinch bugs the last few years. I am about 35 miles north of there and have only had 3 or so cases of chinch bugs over the past 10 years. So far this year I have been called, diagnosed and treated 5 cases. All of them in zoysia. I suppose they have finally moved north. I'm not sure exactly how. Infected sod, lawn mowers of commercial operators??Not sure...
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any dumb lawn care guy can use pesticides for cobtrol of spittlebugs, it takes a true pro to use herbicides for control. Try thinking outside the box sometimes. Many a time I've hucked handfuls of talstar into flower beds for post emergent control of crabgrass because dumb homeowners just like seeing a product come out of a bag. Then when they're checking the bed for results I steal their birdfeeders.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
Any dumb lawn care guy can use pesticides for cobtrol of spittlebugs, it takes a true pro to use herbicides for control. Try thinking outside the box sometimes. Many a time I've hucked handfuls of talstar into flower beds for post emergent control of crabgrass because dumb homeowners just like seeing a product come out of a bag. Then when they're checking the bed for results I steal their birdfeeders.
Nothing wrong with talstar for crab grass control, just be sure you put a big enough pile on it to block out thhe sun, then go for the bird feeder.
Posted via Mobile Device