Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere 925A w/Kohler 27HP EFI

Just visited the John Deere web site and noticed that JD is now offering some of the 900 series with the 27HP EFI Kohler. The one I was looking at was the 925A MOD with the Kohler!! OK, now come out with a 925A MOD with a Kubota Diesel.

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm no expert but I would venture a guess that you will never see a kubota engine on a deere machine. Unless deere was to buy out kubota or something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I'm no expert but I would venture a guess that you will never see a kubota engine on a deere machine. Unless deere was to buy out kubota or something.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are right about that. Deere is not smart enough to put a Kubota diesel in one of their machines. If they did a Z925 would go from $13,000.00 to $17,000.00 at least.
Kubota W5021 Commercial
Exmark Metro 21
Stihl SG 20
Stihl FS 110 R
Stihl FS 55 R
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 45
Husqvarna 123L
Husqvarna 356BT
Echo Pas 225
McLane Edger
7 X 14 Smith Built Trailer
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kubota shmota.

The Yanmar's that Deere has always used are as good as, or better than any diesel engine made. Period. I doubt they'll part ways with them any time soon. I'd take one over any Kubota any day. I have owned several, and still have one, and have never had a problem of any kind whatsoever with any of them. They are extremely dependable engines.

I believe that mowerbrad is right about them (Deere) testing the waters to see what response they'll get with these new Kohlers. they didn't even have them listed on their site last week. I was looking around at all their new fo '11 mowers and tractors, and not any mention of the Kohler cominng was made anywhere that I saw.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Kubota shmota.

The Yanmar's that Deere has always used are as good as, or better than any diesel engine made. Period. I doubt they'll part ways with them any time soon. I'd take one over any Kubota any day. I have owned several, and still have one, and have never had a problem of any kind whatsoever with any of them. They are extremely dependable engines.

I believe that mowerbrad is right about them (Deere) testing the waters to see what response they'll get with these new Kohlers. they didn't even have them listed on their site last week. I was looking around at all their new fo '11 mowers and tractors, and not any mention of the Kohler cominng was made anywhere that I saw.
Kubota diesel engines are the best on the market in their class period everyone knows this. Why do you think there are so many other companies using Kubota diesel engines in their equipment. Grasshopper, Bobcat loaders, Scag Mowers, and I know I am missing a lot more. I have nothing against a yanmar at all I have owned a few yanmar tractors and they are good machines.
Kubota W5021 Commercial
Exmark Metro 21
Stihl SG 20
Stihl FS 110 R
Stihl FS 55 R
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 45
Husqvarna 123L
Husqvarna 356BT
Echo Pas 225
McLane Edger
Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with a Kubota, but they are no better than any other quality diesel engine.

Other manufacturer's use them because they can get them for a great price when bought in bulk, and Kubota is willing to deal. It saves the buyer money, and Kubota is still making theirs as well. It's simply a matter of win/win for both parties. It has little to do with whether Kubota engines are the best.

Most companies who have to source parts of any kind from another manufacturer try to buy something that won't hurt their reputation, but the bottom line is always cost, and the best is usually not the cheapest. If Kubota's were actually the best, they'd also be the most expensive either individually, or in bulk.

They are a good engine at a good price (from a manufacturer's standpoint). On top of that they have a good distribution system here in the USA that allows them the luxury of making bulk deals to companies here. Yanmar doesn't have anything close to that type of setup here.

Finally, the Kubota name is much more recognizable to most folks than the Yanmar name simply because of all the Kubota tractor that folks see all over the place. Very few actually know that when they are looking at an equal number (actually more) of Deere tractors, they are looking at Yanmar engines (at least up until the 4000 twenty series of compact utility tractors came out).
Old 07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffram View Post
Kubota diesel engines are the best on the market in their class period everyone knows this.
I hear the new Cummins A series is supposed to be super sweet and be gunning for Kubota. Gonna be interesting to see if any manufacturers jump on it.

http://www.cummins-sp.com/engines/in...ies_engine.htm
Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You are right about that. Deere is not smart enough to put a Kubota diesel in one of their machines. If they did a Z925 would go from $13,000.00 to $17,000.00 at least.
They are smart enough to use Yanmar instead. You need to shop around if a dealer tries to sell you a Z925 for $13,000. They can be bought way under that. Heck, the JD 997 diesel 72" can be had WAY under $17,000!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy_1 View Post
They are smart enough to use Yanmar instead. You need to shop around if a dealer tries to sell you a Z925 for $13,000. They can be bought way under that. Heck, the JD 997 diesel 72" can be had WAY under $17,000!
They would be smarter if they had Kubota deisel engines but we all know that will never happen. I not taking anything away from yanmar i have owned one of there tracors before they are good equipment but when it comes to small deisle engines nothing is better than a Kubota deisel thats a fact and everyone who has owned anything with a Kubota deisle engine would agree.
I have shoped around and the best price i was quoted was 11700 + tax and the dealer was 125 miles away.
Kubota W5021 Commercial
Exmark Metro 21
Stihl SG 20
Stihl FS 110 R
Stihl FS 55 R
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 45
Husqvarna 123L
Husqvarna 356BT
Echo Pas 225
McLane Edger
Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
They would be smarter if they had Kubota deisel engines but we all know that will never happen. I not taking anything away from yanmar i have owned one of there tracors before they are good equipment but when it comes to small deisle engines nothing is better than a Kubota deisel thats a fact and everyone who has owned anything with a Kubota deisle engine would agree.
I have shoped around and the best price i was quoted was 11700 + tax and the dealer was 125 miles away.
I did not know 997's were that cheap. My kubota zd326 was pushing 14. I got it for just shy of $12,900