Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Care and how much to charge

I'm starting my own Lawn care here in Albany, NY and i'm looking to find out what are the going rates for lawn care and landscaping businesses. Any help will be greatly apprecaiated, I'm not trying to short change myself and i don't want no other company mad at me for low balling them way to much. Thank you for the help, guys...
Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I estimate my commercial property at $60/hr for me and my equipment.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

competitors dont affect your costs. You charge what it costs you to run your business and then your desired profit margin. If thats lowballing or way higher it doesnt matter. Your costs are what they are and if you are hitting your profit margin, everything else is irrelevant
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Just as Texas said, it doesnt matter about what the competitors charge. (I am your competition by the way - Albany, NY) You may have no overhead, low bills, etc. so you can charge less and still make as much as the big guys. For me, my estimates revolve around my magic # per hour compared to how long I expect it to take. I charge accordingly with materials as well if necessary, giving myself a little more in expected time because you always run into something. Good luck to you.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Kool, NY Scraper. So i hope that i can lean on you for some support. Can you email me ur email address. Mine is MoesSpot@gmail.com. I hope that we both become sucessful in this industry. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you everyone for your help and enlighten me with your knowledge.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Luck to you as well. I keep my stuff small as I have family and a full time job. However, as most guys on here that are successful would attest, take the time to do the extra stuff to make a property look nice, not just a mow and blow. That's how a client base is built. Slow down, look around and make sure everything looks clean and in order, mowing, pruning, plowing whatever. I charge accordingly for this extra attention to detail, but have never received a complaint about completed work. IE - I have pruned for a client for a couple years and started full service this year, mulching pruning, and all the rest other than fert. (not licensed). The neighbor kitty corner has commented over the last couple years that I do good work and has taken my number a few times but never called. Finally, the other day I seal the deal with mowing and mulch job. I had asked a few questions about the proprty and what her wishes were and her response was I want it to look like that, pointing to my full service acct. across the street. I said no problem and was on my way with a new account. Point is you never know who's looking and sho may be a potential client.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Brando470, Texas Lawn and NY Scraper Do you guys use any special software program to run your business? And do you use the Lawn Calculator to do lawn estimates?