Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Straight shaft edgers

Any guys running straight shaft edgers? I find myself in a very small group that prefers them over the curved shaft. I bought a curved shaft to please my helper now my straight doesn't even make it to the rack anymore.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Any guys running straight shaft edgers? I find myself in a very small group that prefers them over the curved shaft. I bought a curved shaft to please my helper now my straight doesn't even make it to the rack anymore.
Nope, curved is what I use. I just like the feel better.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Tanaka = straight shaft. = bad ass
Dixie Chopper 60 "
Wright Stander 36"
3 Stihl 90 trimmers
Stihl 100 trimmer
Redmax Trimmer
Redmax Stick edger
3 Redmax blowers
Stihl backpack
Blue bird detacher
Tanaka Edger
KIOTI CK20HS tractor
Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we have both, curved shafts and straight.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never owned an edger but now I'm trying to decide which one to get. I've seen those weed eater types from Stihl and then the wheeled gas models with a gas engine. MTD has a nice Yard Machine with a 3HP engine which I like. What is the pro and cons of each? The grass will be mostly St. Augustine (A tough stolon producing grass) and will have to have a deep cut. I was so inspired by the looks of the "Historic District of Georgetown, SC" Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
I've never owned an edger but now I'm trying to decide which one to get. I've seen those weed eater types from Stihl and then the wheeled gas models with a gas engine. MTD has a nice Yard Machine with a 3HP engine which I like. What is the pro and cons of each? The grass will be mostly St. Augustine (A tough stolon producing grass) and will have to have a deep cut. I was so inspired by the looks of the "Historic District of Georgetown, SC" Any thoughts or suggestions?
Get a stick edger...they are easier to transport job to job on the trailer, are more time effecient. If you are cutting SA you will enjoy having a edger as it is a must down here to give the clean finished look that is acceptable on most SA lawns.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 32CC Echo Stick Edger left over from mowing days. I believe the reason is, it is Heavy as heck and wasn't used except on very heavy new accounts where the extra power was needed. It actually takes a thicker blade and has almost as much power as the walk behind units.

Like all equipment, everyone has their favorite and it is neither Right or wrong as long as it works for you.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Get a stick edger...they are easier to transport job to job on the trailer, are more time effecient. If you are cutting SA you will enjoy having a edger as it is a must down here to give the clean finished look that is acceptable on most SA lawns.
In 1992 I was in the market for several pieces of new equipment. I had owned several "wheeled" edgers and that was what I was shopping for. I was going to buy a $600 Tanaka. The salesman at the mower shop pulled down an Echo PE-2400 and asked if I had ever used one. I said "no. Who would use something like that. I need an edger. Not a trimmer with an edger blade on it." He told me that I would never know what I was missing and that he was selling them left and right. Reluctantly I purchased it. $270 was a lot of money, but it would not be the end of the world if I hated it. I have not owned a "wheeled" edger since.

As Michael mentioned. Rolling an edger on and off the trailer, strapping and unstrapping takes time and takes space. But the main thing is that if you have beds all over the lawn, rolling a wheeled edger through thick grass sucks. The only benefit to a conventional edger is if you are constantly having to clean up edges that have not been maintained. Even then, I would have a tough time not picking one of the heavier stick edgers instead.

Last edited by Keith; 07-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
x2. I have both a curved shaft stihl edger, and the 3 hp edger on wheels. The one one wheels sits in the garage most of the time. the problem is that it works great if you have LOTS of edging to do, and its all along sidewalks and driveways. BUT....if you have to edge along a curb, its a waste of time. The stick edger works better under those conditions, and is easier to transport.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keith: I was in a box store looking at the stick edgers today. The problem that I saw was that almost all of them had a wimpy 8-9" blade. I need one that will cut down through about 3" of sod. Any suggestions as to a good heavy duty one? I hope to get by the Stihl shop tomorrow.