Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Second BR600 stolen in 3 months

I'm done buying these, I've had stuff walk off before, but these get pounced on.

Both were not locked down at the time, one was a Lowe's grab and go, the other, a guy drove up to the house down a 100 ft driveway, grabbed it while my guy was in the backyard mowing, and drove away. My guy returned to see the car at the end of the driveway slowly driving off. He was confused at the time, making sure he had it, the mowers were off that truck, so not much he could do.

All of our stuff is now on racks or with a cable lock through it, but I keep kicking myself for a way to identify my gear from 50-75 ft away.

From tracking standpoint, and officer recommended engraving in an inconspicuous place, but I want to be able to see someone using a BR600 and see it's not mine. I've seen some people spraypaint their equipment, but I think that looks a bit trashy. I've thought about pinning tags to the equipment, painting certain parts that are expensive to replace, or even melting a logo/signature/ or specific marking into the equipment housing.

Anyone have a suggestion or am I being obsessive. I really would love to look over and identify my blower, and get to watch the police show up and hand my equipment back. Anyone have a subtle way to achieve this and not look like crap? It has to be expensive to remove and identifyable from 50 ft or so. Thoughts?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maco Services View Post
Anyone have a suggestion or am I being obsessive. I really would love to look over and identify my blower, and get to watch the police show up and hand my equipment back. Anyone have a subtle way to achieve this and not look like crap? It has to be expensive to remove and identifyable from 50 ft or so. Thoughts?
Krylon fusion neon green. It bonds with plastic. Take the plastic parts off of the equipment to paint it. It looks good and its not hard to point out a neon green stihl. You and other lawn guys are the only ones who will notice.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That, like yourself, is what I ended up kicking myself for the most when my br-420 got stolen many years ago.
That you can see it from a distance, such as when driving past a crew that's working someplace en route to your own job(s).
How many people I saw using a blower that looked just like mine, but what could I do?

So I'd have to agree that a highly visible identifier would work best so you can see at a glance whether it's yours but I
dare say you still need not just the equipment's serial number but also I would recommend painting it a certain way...
The serial number would make sure, as ultimate proof that it's yours, thieves could have crafty excuses but also what
if another guy had the same idea, so you need to record your equipment's serial numbers someplace safe.

As for painting maybe you only cover the air filter cover or do just the fuel tank, it can be most anything but make it
so it's unique because what happens when this catches on is everybody has green stihls lol

Last edited by topsites; 07-20-2011 at 10:58 PM.