Register free!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

leak job- made a boo boo

No pics

After a total of 15 hours of investing time into this yard checking the water pressure should have been one of the first things to do.

A 450' main line run on a irrigation system . I have found 5 seperate leaks in the main line ( cracked pipes and leaky fittings)

There are at least 2 more leaks. I was curious to what the water pressure was
so I tested it nearing the end of my time spent

Come to find out the pressure was a 165 PSI at the back flow assembly- and the rest of the system is down hill. The valves in the back yard I could easily see being 180-185 PSI.

Woops. A PRV Master Valve combo will now be in order. Also installing a wilkins prv prior to the Pressure compensating master valve . Your supposed to install 2 prv's in series 4:1 ratio. This will be 3:1 . Still I feel safer with both in
Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

how are you measuring your PSI?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

with my back flow tester kit

120 dynamic psi o.o
Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
120 dynamic psi o.o
Can I shoot over and install some Stream-Rotors?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't be a piker - go for Rain Pro heads
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
No pics

A 450' main line run on a irrigation system . I have found 5 seperate leaks in the main line ( cracked pipes and leaky fittings)

Come to find out the pressure was a 165 PSI at the back flow assembly- and the rest of the system is down hill. The valves in the back yard I could easily see being 180-185 PSI.
OK I'll bite, I'm probably the cherry here. Where the F do you get 165 PSI from? Is that static or dynamic? Is it a golf course, agriculural, a frigging fire hydrant, what?

I service a 4" loop (about 2,500ft) serving 10 zones... my dynamic pressure is about 70-72 psi which is enough to lift all the Hunter PGP's in each zone and give me a 35" throw.

Early on, when I started, this system had a no flow condition when a zone valve didn't open that brought static pressure to about 120, at which point it blew a fitting and I had a mountain of turf with a $hitload of water underneath it.

I've installed a pressure relief valve and a "Hot Stop" at the pump. The relief valve is set @85 PSI (dynamic).

I've serviced other systems, larger than this one where I have never seen dynamic pressure much over 70 PSI.

So anybody, help me out, (this was in a guys back yard?). What was his source to get pressure readings as high as 180-185 with leaks in the line. I'm surprised it didn't wash away his mountain.

Any way, mind you I'm just a Florida boy and not too smart... but I'm willing to learn.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

elevation, dude - pump that water up to the top, and the folks lower down have pressure they wish they didn't
Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
elevation, dude - pump that water up to the top, and the folks lower down have pressure they wish they didn't
I understand the dynamics of gravity as it relates to flow... but 165 PSI at the POC?

I may be wrong on this, but I call bull$it on that. I've seen that type of pressure in hydrants, commercial fire systems in multi story buildings, agricultural, but a home owner?

I'm hopeful somebody can to explain to me where 165 psi comes from at the POC and not do some damage to a residential irrigation installation, never mind the 185 psi at the heads on the bottom of the hill.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
I understand the dynamics of gravity as it relates to flow... but 165 PSI at the POC?

I may be wrong on this, but I call bull$it on that. I've seen that type of pressure in hydrants, commercial fire systems in multi story buildings, agricultural, but a home owner?

I'm hopeful somebody can to explain to me where 165 psi comes from at the POC and not do some damage to a residential irrigation installation, never mind the 185 psi at the heads on the bottom of the hill.
As I mentioned, our 120-185 psi is static. SOP here. Don't call bull$hit just because you haven't seen it.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
As I mentioned, our 120-185 psi is static. SOP here. Don't call bull$hit just because you haven't seen it.
Noted... please read my previous post.