Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM
turner_landscaping turner_landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 187
new job

Just completed this large pondless waterfall for a client who tried to do the job himself but got way over his head. He collected most of the glacier stone through out his farm and some of the rocks were 4+ tons each! Even the large flat stone was solid granite. We had two pieces that were nearly 6' long and 4' wide that were 8-10" thick. The installed a large 1100 gallon tank which was intended for the pit. The finish falls was 30' long and 7' wide at the widest point. It drops about 10' down the hill in to the basin.We will be landscaping it in about 3 weeks or so.
Attached Images
         
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Lite4's Avatar
Lite4 Lite4 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,987
It will look better with some plantings. The stone placement looks good. I would have set that top stone down lower and sealed the bottom (the one water is running under, rather than over) so that would be included in the falls. You also seem to running only about 1/4-1/3 of the total water volume needed for a falls that size. The rocks are more prominant than the water. It looks like a stream that is drying up from decreased runoff rather than a spring creek that is full. A stream that size should be running a minimum of 400-500 gpm for the right effect. Carry makes some great volume pumps for this application. Its been a few years since I installed one, but a 1/3 - 1/2 horse with a #3 impeller would probably do the trick for what you have there.
__________________


Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 AM
turner_landscaping turner_landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 187
I agree with you on the pumps but the homeowner had all the materials already from a year ago and was dead set on using them.. 2 savio 5000 pumps. There is more water running than u think. I would personally would liked a little more. I personally don't always like running water over every stone in a waterfall but to each is own. In nature water doesn't run over every stone it runs under, side wise, and over.. So why build a waterfall that has water running over every stone the whole idea is to make it look natural not man made. But again that's a personal choice in building these features.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
YardGal's Avatar
YardGal YardGal is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Just completed this large pondless waterfall for a client who tried to do the job himself but got way over his head. He collected most of the glacier stone through out his farm and some of the rocks were 4+ tons each! Even the large flat stone was solid granite. We had two pieces that were nearly 6' long and 4' wide that were 8-10" thick. The installed a large 1100 gallon tank which was intended for the pit. The finish falls was 30' long and 7' wide at the widest point. It drops about 10' down the hill in to the basin.We will be landscaping it in about 3 weeks or so.
Very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,395
Very nice. I wish we had a market for features like that down here
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
tadpole's Avatar
tadpole tadpole is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
I personally don't always like running water over every stone in a waterfall but to each is own. In nature water doesn't run over every stone it runs under, side wise, and over.. So why build a waterfall that has water running over every stone the whole idea is to make it look natural not man made. But again that's a personal choice in building these features.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree completely. Natural stream morphology can have infinite variations. I have never understood the 'cookie cutter' approach to stream construction.

And, of course, this is excellent work. Would be disappointed with anything less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Very nice. I wish we had a market for features like that down here
Posted via Mobile Device
Ain't that the truth. Our fellow Southerners generally don't like parting with their money.
__________________
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers
Ripples
Aquatic Habitats
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
wurkn with amish's Avatar
wurkn with amish wurkn with amish is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in the bathroom
Posts: 663
Very nice Turner Landscaping. Maybe upsell on a larger pump down the road....
__________________
nothing but a horse and buggy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Bleed Green Bleed Green is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,489
very cool seeing a water feature of that size. Nice work
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
cut level cut level is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 295
Looks good
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
RussellB RussellB is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 3,060
Wish I could collect stones like that from my property. I'm not even sure there is a "natural" rock in South Carolina. Good job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.08535 seconds with 8 queries