Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FH381v as23r problem

I bought a Lesco 36" with this engine would only run on full choke. Cleaned out carb and then was running great. The next day there was a oil/gas mix leaking out of the front bottom. It was coming from a small rod going into the engine that looks to be connected to the carb. So we drained the oil and both gas and oil came out, mostly gas. I know very little but this can't be good! Does anyone have a clue what this is, is it repairable or do I need a new engine? I don't have the cash to buy new right now so repair is a better way. I don't understand it was running well although at the end of use I heard a little bit of a knocking from the engine. Any help would be great.

Thanx
Mike
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Possible a piece of trash entered the float valve when the fuel line was re-installed or the float needle valve is bad, I'd re-clean and replace the needle valve then run it till it blows.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Possible a piece of trash entered the float valve when the fuel line was re-installed or the float needle valve is bad, I'd re-clean and replace the needle valve then run it till it blows.....
Thanx for the word but maybe you can put me at ease. I looked into what you said and found a parts diagram and where it is leaking was not where the float needle valve is. I put some pix on of the part that is leaking or at least where it looks like it is leaking. Also put a wide shot to show the area where it is if it helps. I'm hoping you tell me I am dumb and that's where it will leak. Thanx for all your help.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What you have is a governor shaft seal leak, a fairly common occurence. Part number is 92049-7019. It can be replaced without removing the engine. Control plate has to be loosened to allow governor arm to come off of the governor shaft. Unless it has been replace with hi-tack it can usually be removed with a couple of small picks. Avoid scarring/damage to the governor shaft. Governor will have to be properly set when governor arm goes back on. You can search this site for instructions--Rob has posted them several times.

Apparently, as Rob has suggested, your carb has picked up some trash that is holding the needle open and gas has run through the intake, past the rings and into the crankcase. Could also be a defective inlet needle. The thinner gas/oil mix has made it easier to leak past the seal.

Once you get the carb problem taken care of and the crankcase refilled with the correct amount and grade of oil, you may still have a leak but likely slower. Had you noticed any oil on the equipment below the seal area before you encountered the overfill?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
The thinner gas/oil mix has made it easier to leak past the seal.

Dutch, Was that piece of biscuit big enough to clean the plate ?!?!!
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

While you were slappin' down the B&G, I was busy looking up a Toro/Onan. When I snooze, I lose--although I'm feeling a little on the lazy side as well.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
What you have is a governor shaft seal leak, a fairly common occurence. Part number is 92049-7019. It can be replaced without removing the engine. Control plate has to be loosened to allow governor arm to come off of the governor shaft. Unless it has been replace with hi-tack it can usually be removed with a couple of small picks. Avoid scarring/damage to the governor shaft. Governor will have to be properly set when governor arm goes back on. You can search this site for instructions--Rob has posted them several times.

Apparently, as Rob has suggested, your carb has picked up some trash that is holding the needle open and gas has run through the intake, past the rings and into the crankcase. Could also be a defective inlet needle. The thinner gas/oil mix has made it easier to leak past the seal.

Once you get the carb problem taken care of and the crankcase refilled with the correct amount and grade of oil, you may still have a leak but likely slower. Had you noticed any oil on the equipment below the seal area before you encountered the overfill?
THANK YOU! You guy's are the best. I will look up the instructions and see if I can do it or take to someone else. I have 2 more questions for ya first other than just draining the oil, is there something else to clean out the gas that leaked through? What oil should I use in this engine? Thanx again you guys saved me I figured I needed a new engine.

Thanx
Mike
Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, its me again just got my parts and ready to operate. I have one more question before I start. I uploaded a pic of where it was leaking (governor shaft seal) I was looking at it and it looks fine no cracks tears or anything. Could it not need replaced? Is it that the oil was so thin that it leaked? Would it hold oil that was thicker. It was a slow leak. I am not sure how to get the seal off so if its still good I would rather not mess with it. I guess my question is would it have leaked any way because of the thin oil? Any help would be great.

Thanx
Mike
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdee006 View Post
Could it not need replaced?

You won't know until you solve the carb flooding issue and add oil then test run it, If it does leak bad replace it then......
Quote:
Old 09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok. That sounds good to me. Thanx for all your help you have given me.

Thanx
Mike

Tags
engine repair , kawasaki , lesco