Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EPA emissions requirements and Ethanol fuel. How much of your equipment is ruined?

Seems like tons of people are having problems with their equipment, especially the newer stuff, due to EPA mandated emissions equipment and the use of Ethanol in gas. I was hoping people would post their problems in one spot so we could see how big the problem is and see what good solutions we can find to help work around the problems we are having.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great thread....

I spent two hours last night researching this and here is what i've come up with....

Ethanol will eat away at your fuel lines and carb diaphragms, gaskets, etc...not to mention it holds moisture.

So far i found a product that combats the moisture issue which is Ethanol Shield. As for the eroding fuel lines there are marine grade fuel lines that are ethanol safe. I believe you have to look for SAE J1527 type B fuel lines.

This is all i have so far, my Stihl equipment has held up good (other than new carbs every year) but i only run two days a week. I am buying all new equipment next month from mower to handhelds and no chance am i going to risk any carb issues.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I just lost a Husky saw that I think was from the gas. Not sure, but it was the first tank of fresh fuel from the jug. I did not use anymore fuel from that container. I mixed new fuel. There are still stations that sell 100% gas so I am going to use that in future.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Busted rotted primer bulbs, rotted fuel lines, and a broken seal on a fuel tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We were having problems with fuel lines, primer bulbs and water in the fuel all caused by ethanol. My dealer suggested we use a product called Startron in our fuel for 2 and 4 cycle equipment. It worked great, cured all my problems.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR Landscaping View Post
We were having problems with fuel lines, primer bulbs and water in the fuel all caused by ethanol. My dealer suggested we use a product called Startron in our fuel for 2 and 4 cycle equipment. It worked great, cured all my problems.
found a good price / supplier? What a scam that we have to add product to our fuel huh?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Busted rotted primer bulbs, rotted fuel lines, and a broken seal on a fuel tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
And quick too, apparently. All of my current equipment has never seen E10, until July 4th. I didn't want to do it, but I ran out of gas with two lawns to go. Picked up 1 gallon and threw the bottle of oil in there. By late yesterday afternoon I had a Kawi edger and trimmer with split primer bulbs. The edger refuses to rev at all. This a piece of equipment that has never given me a minute of problem. On the last lawn today the blower is slow to revs and sounds terrible.

I guess I should have just called it a day and waited until Thursday morning the get my gasoline. I knew not to do it, but figured I was being paranoid and one tank wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
And quick too, apparently.

That would be way too quick, imo.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
That would be way too quick, imo.

Yeah, one day ain't gonna do what you describe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

fuel lines and fuel grommets (that attach to the tank) on my hedge trimmers are getting eaten away. I suspect it's from those tools not getting daily use (unlike my line trimmers and blowers), so the fuel is sitting in the lines/touching the grommets.