Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2002, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Implement a system

To replace yourself on the job it seems you would have to have a great system in place. How does on do this? I was thinking of attempting to come up with a written manual for each type of job we do...for instance it would explain to a tee how to mow a lawn, trim it, blow down the driveway...it would be elementary but it would describe every process and the order to which they are done, so that someone with little experience could do it if necessary. Anyone effective at doing something like this?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup
Old 11-06-2002, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JAA,

Are u able to break down every job...I mean plowing, and mowing, and applications sound simple enough, but what about with installs? How does your company approach this gamut of tasks?
Old 11-06-2002, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good thing. It seems each person you explain the basics to you lose a detail. Then down the line yell at them for forgetting what you never tought to begin with. Then when they say, "I never knew that" you can say "didn't you read the instructions jackass!"
Old 11-06-2002, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quality control over mowing or applications shouldn't be too tough, if one can systematically break everything down...nonetheless easier said than done.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

This is just great thinking and I applaud you!!!!!

The better the system ON EVERY JOB, the more efficient, timely and profitable those jobs will be.

I'd start by timing each service and assigning your personnel accordingly......nothing worse that having multiple people on the job and 2 in the truck and two still working.....costly.

Go for it!! Great .....it worked for me!
Old 11-07-2002, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think some potential employees will laugh at it, but it would systemize everything, which hopefully will allow me to be more of a manager than a hole digger.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

They may laugh but that will stop after they see just how much easier the job is to do with a system And besides, they work for you, not vice-versa.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a system which I give to all my employees when they star, but I take each one of my employees myself for a couple of weeks and show em, how you put your theory in the field, then I send'em with one of my foreman.

Even that i'm not in every property with them I usually take a ride to all the houses they do, and if anything it's wrong I'd point it right the same day, remember to call your customers once in a while to make sure everthing it's ok, just because they don't call you that doesn't mean everything it's perfect.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I would like a copy of your plans so i can use it with my employees. This is a great idea and will set a standard for all employees. Some employees may laugh but take a look at their performance and you will find that they need this plan even more.