Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Waterfall Pump Recommendation

hey guys, i'm looking for recommendations for a new waterfall pump. Mine decided to crap out the other day, although I may wait until spring to replace it.

My waterfall is fed with a 2" spiral tubing line. The old pump was a Cal Pump Torpedo Pump T10000 (10,000 GPH). I probably only got 8000 to 9000 GPH though at roughly 7' of head.

I'd like to find something a bit more energy effecient though. That torpedo pump pulled anywhere from 600 watts to 1600 watts, although I never was able to measure it, and cant find a curve showing power draw.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Well first of all u never even came close to 8000 gph because u hav e the wrong hose size.. That size pump you need to have a 3inch line to accomidate the flow of the pump. Second how did u come up 7'of head? I can give you a ton of pumps but you got to get the right size hose to start w. And some additional info is need.. What is the length of the hosing? Are there elbows? How tall is the waterfall from surface area etc..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

The top of the waterfall is approx 6' from the waters surface. The hose is approx 15' long, and only has 1 elbow in it (at the top of the waterfall to divert the water). the place the pump was purchased said that a 2" line would be sufficient for this pump and that it wouldnt hamper its performance much, and would actually reduce the power draw of the pump a tad. I feel that it does actually move around 8000 GPH, even with the reduced line size. i have no problems going to a 3" or even 4" line. The top 2/3rds or so of the waterfall is actually a basin that fills up before it starts to spill over, and probably holds 55 to 100 gallon of water. The fountain in the top is on its own smaller pump.

The pond itself is 20'x20' approx 3' deep at waterfall end and 5' or so in the other end, and holds roughly 10,000 gallons. I know the pond is also in need of a much bigger filter than we currently have. The floating fountain is also on its own pump at 550gph.

Here is a picture taken a couple years ago. I know many of you will probably shake their heads in disgust and laugh as this pond was built about as cheap as we could and ended up getting thrown together just to get it to the point it is. I have plans to renovate it and make it look a whole lot better once I find a new job. For some reason, the flow over the waterfall does not look as much in the picture as it does in person.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Well the people who sold you the pump wher mis informed about that pump as well. Torpedo pumps are generally used on waterfatures that are long and tall. Meaning it needs highhead pressure to even function properly thats the reason they fail so often. I wont even use them unless i have a min of 15-20' of head preesure. Looking at your waterfall your probably more around 6500 gallons plus. A 10000 gallon would be cooking a lot faster and more intensly. Right now you by u using a 2" hose your basicaly trying to squeeze all that water through a straw and by doing so creating friction loss and hurting your pump causing it to fail. Go to a 3" line. I can go into charts of dynamic head presure and friction loss but I think you get the point. If you want info i can give you charts. As for a pump are you looking more for energy efficient pumps? Your hose length is small and height is low you can go to a hydrive pump. Its a combo magnate and direct drive pump. Anjon makes one its 10000gallon monsoon pump.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely a larger hose size is indicated. One option that you have is to insert a 'Wye' close to the pump and add an additional 2" line. This will give you a flow rate similar to a 3" line and save you from having to tear out the existing line.

A 10,000 gph pump seems like overkill, IMO. 7,000-7,500 gph should provide more than sufficient flow. Any standard high efficiency submersible should significantly lower your power consumption.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

The pump currently has a 4" tee on the outlet side of it, that reduces down to a 2" outlet for the waterfall and a 1.5" outlet that used to go to a filter. We have since capped that 1.5" outlet off. I'll have to check into the anjon pump. I was definately looking to go to a magdrive of some sort, possibly 2 to get the flow and still maintain some energy savings.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just use an Anjon 5500 Bigfrog submersible pump. It will give you plenty to work with that head pressure and it will last for years plus you can keep your 2" line. Look at Anjonmanufacturing.com for the Big frog and Monsoon pumps.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend upgrading to an external self priming pump (Evolution ESS7800 on 2" or ESBB10500 on 3"). The ESS7800 sells for around $700 and the ESBB10500 for around $850, so they are a little more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.