Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Winterizing my machine and hose

Hi,

I want to winterize my machine and hose but im not sure what the protocall is. Can somesody please let me know what needs to be done with my machine, sealant, and hose?

I was looking to empty the little bit of sealant I have left into some industrial pails with lids.

After, I would use diesel gas to filter and flush out the remaining sealant into another pail that would be dispossed off.

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Mike

BTW, I am using an oil based sealant/liquid asphalt
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just leave the diesel in the pump/lines/hoses for the winter. I store mine outside, and have done so for 8 years now, witrh no problems.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Isnt the diesel fluid not good for the asphalt? Also, I bought my machine used and there were to 30 ft. hoses and one of them seems to be clogged. Do you have any idea on how I can unclog it?

thanks again!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducko View Post
Isnt the diesel fluid not good for the asphalt? Also, I bought my machine used and there were to 30 ft. hoses and one of them seems to be clogged. Do you have any idea on how I can unclog it?

thanks again!
I had good luck with running water through it and use a small car or truck and run the hose over several times. You should get new hose maintain it and clean it out good at the end of the season. But that hose if spraying will clog your tips if not cleaned out very well.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for that tip! Running over the hose to loosen up the dried sealant seems like a good idea.

thanks everybody!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepoutside View Post
I just leave the diesel in the pump/lines/hoses for the winter. I store mine outside, and have done so for 8 years now, witrh no problems.
Using Blackmac?

I stored my tank outside, full of sealer, and in the spring the sealer was different, it was always clogging up my tips. But now i'm screwed since I have 900 liters of sealer left in the tank, and would need 900 liters of diesel to fill it back up lol
Complete lawn care services
Old 11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya, its Black Mac. Ouch 900 litres?! sorry to hear that. Im looking to empty the remains of the sealant into a few Home Depot buckets. Afterwords I will put about 20 bucks of Diesel in the tank and filter it a few times. Hopefully, that will do the trick. Any other tips on how to salvage my remaining sealant, or winterize my machine?

Mike
Old 11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure if you would park your equipment full of tar like mine in a heated garage, around 10-15C+ it would be ok.

Your sealant buckets should also be store in a heated place, like in your basement or something, obviously away from any source of ignition or fire. (I don't think you are telling your insurance company you are holding a dangerous good product in your basement lol) Also it would be a good thing to shake your buckets every couple of weeks.
Complete lawn care services
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont have a garage so ill have to place the pails in my basement. There is not a chance the insurance companies will know! lol.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
Using Blackmac?

I stored my tank outside, full of sealer, and in the spring the sealer was different, it was always clogging up my tips. But now i'm screwed since I have 900 liters of sealer left in the tank, and would need 900 liters of diesel to fill it back up lol
I know this is an old post , still trying to figure out leave sealer in tank or drain into plastic pails or barrel . People tell me 2 different things .
Posted via Mobile Device