Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking of starting over in new location

Hey all, my current situation has me located in North Jersy, however, I am possibly moving to South Jersy and I am thinking of restarting from scratch. I currently have a partner and im not exactly happy about the partner thing. This is a first year for both of us. He has no landscaping experience as I do and prefers to drive astronomical miles just to get to our first job and I want to be close to my home base. Hes afraid to charge a potential client a certain amount of money for a job out of fear of hearing the word "NO". I however, am not afraid to hear that word as I want to be able to cover my expenses and then some. He doesnt seem to be as "into it" as I am. Ive told him that I have picked up many tips from reading on these forums on Lawn Site and would like to put some of them into practice. He does not. He thinks its no big deal. Im afraid that If I stay with him Im destined for failure. I like the "self Employed" Idea. I have something part time (not landscaping to hold me over while I restart and slowly grow. He is unemployed and probably want to stay that way. I learned a lot in my first year on my own and picked up a few tips from this site along the way and I feel that I would be better off on my own and make all of the decisions set my own prices etc. Has anyone else on here experienced something similar to my situation? Any imput of advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot! Come to SC I need someone like you that is willing to go get it done, I'm not afraid to hear the word NO by any means, I've learned the hard way about that!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were talking about my old business partner. USELESS!

All of our mutual friends warned me that he wasn't very smart and was basically incapable of math, hence wanting to drive 1.5 hours each way to work on drastically underpriced apartment complexes in the ghetto.

Thank God he bailed, he was the worst business decision I've ever made.

Now, seemingly by magic, business has picked up. People actually want to do business with me, instead of being "sold" by some idiot slickster.

Go solo, or work as an employee for someone else. There is no in between for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cut ties now and move on.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that my old partner moved up to Jersey and started a business with you. What I did with my old partner was I had him buy me out for my half of the remaining times that the maintenance yards would have been serviced. That way I had a little bit of buffer to help get me started again on my own for marketing and also helped pay the bills. He got to keep the old clients. Worked out pretty good for me. The only problem with it was splitting the company name etc... I finally just dissolved the company and created a new one.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Lawn View Post
I think that my old partner moved up to Jersey and started a business with you. What I did with my old partner was I had him buy me out for my half of the remaining times that the maintenance yards would have been serviced. That way I had a little bit of buffer to help get me started again on my own for marketing and also helped pay the bills. He got to keep the old clients. Worked out pretty good for me. The only problem with it was splitting the company name etc... I finally just dissolved the company and created a new one.
Looks like you ended up ok from what I can tell.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

It worked out for the best. He got to keep the maintenance side and I got to start the spray side while keeping a contact in the maintenance side for referrals which in turn
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Member

That's what I would like to do is start a new company, new name, etc. I also forgot to mention that he is in no way a morning person. I can't even tell you how many times I showed up at his place at 7am to start work and he wasn't even out of bed. Made me wait several times, sometimes up to an hour THEN do his sight seeing journey to our first lawn. I tried and tried to drill it in his head that by the time we got to our first lawn it's already going on 9:30am. That's 1 or 2 lawns we could have done already. On top of the "cheap" customers he always seemed to land. I'm not making any money with this guy. Then once we actually do get started, he wants to work ONLY 8 hours a day. So you do the math. For him, 8 hr day: approx45 min to an hour drive each way = about an hour and a half to 2 hours of the day spent driving. I hate it. All that money lost bc he is lazy. Saturdays are also out of the question for him as well. Some days I would show up at his place and he would say either he didn't feel good or his mom or wife needed help with something and that he couldn't work that day and I'd have to go about the day alone. This is after I worked the graveyard shift at my job and makingme wait about an hour for him to roll his lazy ass out of bed. Now you can see why I want to go solo next season. The thing that sucks about that is that I have to buy all new equipment bc most of our stuff is his. Thank god I have a nest egg stashed aside for that reason. Now I understand a previous thread that said partners are bad ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

remember you dont hav to move to start over
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

im not moving to start over. my current finantual situation is telling me to. The place that I was offered is cheaper as far as living expenses go. I figured since I am unhappy with my current situation with my patner I can restart in my new location as a solo op. Id be a fool to pass it up.