Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

New to Lawn Care

Hey All,

I am new to the business and am from the Tri-City area of Virginia. I am currently a Police Officer (hence the pun of LAWN enforcement) and am starting small in hopes of growing a business before I retire in 7 more years. I am gonna try to focus on the small yards that the 'big boys' dont wanna fool with. I am putting myself out there as "Lawn Care" NOT "Landscaping" as I realize there is a world of difference and alot of people call themselves landscapers when all the do is cut grass. Landscapes may come later.

I am starting out with mostly good new equipment, Sthil trimmer, echo trimmer/edger, echo backpack blower, toro push mowers, Husqvarna saw. The only questionable item is my Craftsman (husky made) YTS 3000 rider. Buts its only 2 years old and will be good for first season. I am gonna offer basic cut/trim/blow, edging, hedge trim, leaf work, small (very small) tree work, trash out, light hauling, mulching, yard cleanup, and light duty residential snow removal/salting (concrete/hard surface).

This is a great site and hope to meet some people from my area.

Mike Bresko
Tri-City Lawn Enforcement
Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you will find that being a police officer will work to your advantage because customers will feel they can trust you.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I think you will find that being a police officer will work to your advantage because customers will feel they can trust you.

Good luck.
Welcome aboard Lawn Enforcement. Be cautious on the LEO thing. As you know, some people think that because "you're" a cop and "they" pay taxes, you owe them. I was a cop before I went full time; my policy was "I don't advertise I'm a cop, and I don't hide it either". I never used it to sell a customer, sometimes a customer would ask if I had another job, then I would say "yes". When they asked specifically what I did, I told them. Your business will grow faster than you think, good luck.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a retired funeral director and embalmer and I never tell anyone.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I like your point about NOT calling yourself a Landscaper. I'm in a similar situation to yours. I retire in two weeks. I've got a couple of clients. No advertising of any kind, yet. Right now I use a 21" high wheel pusher. It is a very efficient and versatile machine. I am repairing a 46" very old Murray rider. We'll see where it goes. Love your company name. My motto is: " No lawn too small ".
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i dont think throwing 40-50 yards of mulch every year counts me as a landscaper either i do lawncare.i love lawncare and throwing a lil mulch from time to time,i do overseed,fert,and tree n shrub trimming but 90% mow.