Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Truckloader vs. Tarp

Which is faster? I have a 20 hp billygoat loader and a cabover leafbox on a F250 with an 8' bed. If you are forced to tarp leaves for whatever reason, too many to blow, fenced back yard, whatever. Why would anyone dump them on the ground and then suck them up with the vac. Just put them in the truck already. Simply put I think its faster to round the leaves up, shred them with a walkbehind, rake them on a tarp n load them in the truck. Yes the truck will hold a little more using the vac but I would estimate that we get finished abot 1/3 faster without the vac. Maybe I'm just oldschool (20+ yrs in the business). What do you think?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can plow leaves pretty far with the Z and then mulch the tailings.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had that same discussion. I gotta believe that by using leaf plow and street blower to the road that we do better with our vac. It probably varies for different operations. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The problem I would have is that I work by myself and would have trouble lifting the tarp up and into the truck. I dont use my loader all that often though, because our city has vacuum trucks and come by about 3 times during the Fall. So most lawns I just leave them near the road.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
Which is faster? I have a 20 hp billygoat loader and a cabover leafbox on a F250 with an 8' bed. If you are forced to tarp leaves for whatever reason, too many to blow, fenced back yard, whatever. Why would anyone dump them on the ground and then suck them up with the vac. Just put them in the truck already. Simply put I think its faster to round the leaves up, shred them with a walkbehind, rake them on a tarp n load them in the truck. Yes the truck will hold a little more using the vac but I would estimate that we get finished abot 1/3 faster without the vac. Maybe I'm just oldschool (20+ yrs in the business). What do you think?
No offense but i work EFFICIENTLY (Easy way/ Quickest way)
Here's My way I ride around with the ultravac on Gathering all the leaves, while the guys blow out the beds, When they are done with the beds they start loading up the truck with the leaf loader.

Not only is this faster but it allows us to get more cleanups in the truck, We get more cleanups done because we arent as tired as we would be if we had to lift tarps all day. My loader is 10yrs old and pays for itself YEAR after Year!

Honestly if you're gonna be in the business its Not even worth it to be tarping 24/7....
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
No offense but i work EFFICIENTLY (Easy way/ Quickest way)
Here's My way I ride around with the ultravac on Gathering all the leaves, while the guys blow out the beds, When they are done with the beds they start loading up the truck with the leaf loader.

Not only is this faster but it allows us to get more cleanups in the truck, We get more cleanups done because we arent as tired as we would be if we had to lift tarps all day. My loader is 10yrs old and pays for itself YEAR after Year!

Honestly if you're gonna be in the business its Not even worth it to be tarping 24/7....
I'm sorry but if you can bag up leaves with a rider your not cleaning up very many leaves(and yes we do every customer every week). I couldn't run a rider with a bag 40 ft without having to go dump in one of our yards with about 5 or 6 large oak trees. In which case I would probably have to go dump 10 times per yard (this is probably underestimated). Thats a lot of wasted time and handling the leaves twice (picking up with a ztr then picking up again with a truckloader). We use plows and a truckloader in some situations and backyard shreds with tarps in others. It might be a little harder work but for the most part its faster time after time.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
I'm sorry but if you can bag up leaves with a rider your not cleaning up very many leaves(and yes we do every customer every week). I couldn't run a rider with a bag 40 ft without having to go dump in one of our yards with about 5 or 6 large oak trees. In which case I would probably have to go dump 10 times per yard (this is probably underestimated). Thats a lot of wasted time and handling the leaves twice (picking up with a ztr then picking up again with a truckloader). We use plows and a truckloader in some situations and backyard shreds with tarps in others. It might be a little harder work but for the most part its faster time after time.
Well for our bigger accounts we use the walk behind blowers... then push the pile to the street with the deck low. Works just like a leaf plow. And then load it up with the loader. We save time by not having to dump the leaves as often by triple shredding the leaves. First by the mower, the the bagger, then the loader. Bet we could finish a clean up before you guys!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're trucking away leaves, I can't see how a loader wouldn't be the way to go. You'll fit more in the truck. That alone should be all you need to get one. By me town's take leaves so I only load 20-40 yards of unmulched leaves a season. Which would be two truck loads with a loader.

If I had to collect 80 yards of unmulched leaves each fall I wouldn't do it with out a leaf loader.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticolawnllc View Post
If you're trucking away leaves, I can't see how a loader wouldn't be the way to go. You'll fit more in the truck. That alone should be all you need to get one. By me town's take leaves so I only load 20-40 yards of unmulched leaves a season. Which would be two truck loads with a loader.

If I had to collect 80 yards of unmulched leaves each fall I wouldn't do it with out a leaf loader.
Exactly!! My leaf loader shreds the leaves so much I can fit a whole day of clean ups in my leaf box. I haven't used a tarp or rake in 15 years! I have some clean ups where the leaves are a foot deep...Loaders and blowers are the only way to go. I cant even believe this is a question.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
Well for our bigger accounts we use the walk behind blowers... then push the pile to the street with the deck low. Works just like a leaf plow. And then load it up with the loader. We save time by not having to dump the leaves as often by triple shredding the leaves. First by the mower, the the bagger, then the loader. Bet we could finish a clean up before you guys!
Well by god! ..... Bring your crew on down, I have a bunch of yards we can test your hypothisis on. I'll even buy the gas. lol