Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-15-2002, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cell Phone Number ONLY in Ads

I'm wondering if anyone lists only their cell phone number in ads. I just ran an ad in a local free shopper paper for leaf clean-up and listed only my cell phone number. The add says it's my cell phone too, as I didn't want people not recognizing the exchange and thinking I wasn't in their area.

I have always listed only my business number in the past, but then people call and I'm not in (one man show), or they talk to my wife and she can't really help them. Sometimes by the time I get back to them, it's too late...found someone else.

I was a little reluctant to do this because I don't want to create and image that I'm a vagrant landscaper. And I don't really want to list both numbers, because then they may leave messages in two places and just confuse me. Besides, my cell phone really is the best way to reach me.

I've found that if I answer the phone or call back in a couple minutes and make an appointment to look at the job on the same day, I almost always get it.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-16-2002, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use my cell # on everything and I always have my phone with me. That way customers do not normally have to leave a message.
www.hrbuyersandsellers.com
WE BUY HOUSES
Old 11-16-2002, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

couldn't you get a call forward service from your phone co?? when somebody calls your business phone call will be forwarded to your cell phone.

or, what i do, i check my messages that are on my business phone hourly. what i hate bout people calling my cell is that i may be involved with a customer, when you excuse yourself to take the call might it make the customer feel less important than the one calling??

or, just allow your wife to take a message, ask for a phone number the customer can be reached at, then your wife calls you on your cell and you return the call?
Old 11-16-2002, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd never post my cell number ....I'm with KLR ..... I use call forwarding to my cell ....n I always answer ..... than if I want on weekends some quite time I just flip it back to the main phone n machine .... also when I'm away (out of area/state) I can have it fowarded to my foreman's cell n he handles em on the spot

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 11-16-2002, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forward your calls. I always do this, any number you call it will end up on my cell. And you could alway change cell companys without any pain.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guess I didn't mention that the home number and the business number are the same. I don't really want all calls to the house going to my cell phone. My wife is the Secretary for the local Cub Scouts and I'd go nuts if all those calls got rolled to me.

You guys have me thinking that I'd better just get a separate business line, then roll that to the cell as necessary.

Thanks.

Darryl
Old 11-16-2002, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

seperate business line would be the best thing. But, you could save a few bucks by just having another residential line installed, use the new line for business and have forward service applied to that new line.

of course a business line would also get you into yellow pages, but you would have to pay the business rates.

or, as i mentioned earlier, have your wife answer calls, when people start asking all kinds of things she can't answer, she only has to ask for their number and she calls you on your cell and you call customer/potential customer.

once business builds, then you spring for that seperate business phone with yellow page ad?

the other thing that is fustrating about just using a cell phone is how they tend to break up in certain areas. this could also cause you to loose accounts too?

good luck
Old 11-16-2002, 06:29 PM

I always used a cell phone. For 6 years. The only draw back to that is the $$$ of cell phone minutes. Other wise it is the only way to go. And with caller ID you don't anwser the calls from numbers you don't recognize.
That way on the eves or weekends you can still use it for your personal phone and only talk to friends or relatives.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know of many people who strictly use their cell numbers when it comes to business. If you want to reach them, its going to be by cell number only. They have it on their cards, invoices, estimates, etc.

Personally I know of many people who like the idea that its a cell number theyve been given, this way they figure they wont have to wait days to get their calls returned - itll be hours instead -LOL!!
Old 11-17-2002, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

wouldn't the cell phone be a tax deduction at the end of the year? being it's for business and all.

I'm thinking of trying to get one for next year. And I think if you turned off the ringer during a meeting, or while in the middle of someone's lawn you could still return any calls during the day in between customers maybe. Anyway, that's just my opinion.