Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Frustrating leaf season

Nearly at the end of November and I am sitting at around 50% of what I grossed last November.

I am advertising the same. Flyers, ads...

One thing different from last year is its warmer this year. The leaves were slow to fall this season. Ive also noticed more balking on price. I actually had a guy tell me a crew of 4 guys worked an hour and only charged $45 for leaf removal.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You know the answers but need to hear someone else say them.

Leaves not falling as quick as last year.

People and economy are still bad with people losing jobs still.

People can't afford to pay and do it themselves. Leaf removal is a convenience not a necessity. As going to store and buy a cup of coffe vs making a pot then having to clean the pot.

Every guy with a trailer or pickup out of work that has a rake and a box of bags is competing for the same amount of leaves.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
You know the answers but need to hear someone else say them.

Leaves not falling as quick as last year.

People and economy are still bad with people losing jobs still.

People can't afford to pay and do it themselves. Leaf removal is a convenience not a necessity. As going to store and buy a cup of coffe vs making a pot then having to clean the pot.

Every guy with a trailer or pickup out of work that has a rake and a box of bags is competing for the same amount of leaves.
Funny thing...I got a call from two people that I thought were going with a lower bid. They both want me to do it. It's like we never had the conversation about my price being higher!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2011, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I think the leaf removal business is declining with people going to mulching the leaves. Lots of places it's illegal to put yard waste in the landfill.
With the eco-friendly advertisments against leaf removal it's not looked at as a premium service any more.
So the people left that MUST have their leaves removed are less inclined to pay well.

Maybe it's different in your area.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did you call all your customers from last season about this year before the leaves falling. Just a call saying "Hi there, I'm working on my fall clean up schedule and would you like me to do it again this year?". I do this, price is barely ever mentioned. I have a handfull I don't like doing and leave it to them to call (and they do).

Maintaining a customer list and keeping contact with them is key to grow your buisness.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did call my existing customers. They are loyal and never question price. It's the new business I try to pick up that is the challenge. As for mulching and landfills, I take my leaves to a topsoil sales place, they turn mountains of leaves to topsoil. I used to mulch everything, but it just doesn't work on some of these small, heavily treed lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

"Nearly at the end of November and I am sitting at around 50% of what I grossed last November."

Due to the warm wet weather we had here (and I think its now the 3rd or 4th wettest year on record since they kept records) I was able to get 2 weeks of mowing in Nov on close to half my list. And why that doesn't sound great the fact is we do not get to start clean ups here till about the 20th of Nov so that extra 6k in cuts may see me with a 50% increase in what we typically gross in Nov. Maybe its just me but I never understood guys getting excited about leaf season its a 60-70% pay cut for us from our peek months of May or June.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What town are you in darryl? your schedule sounds a lot like ours accept we never ever have time for one time clients.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnprosteveo View Post
I did call my existing customers. They are loyal and never question price. It's the new business I try to pick up that is the challenge. As for mulching and landfills, I take my leaves to a topsoil sales place, they turn mountains of leaves to topsoil. I used to mulch everything, but it just doesn't work on some of these small, heavily treed lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tell me more about this topsoil sales place. What is the process they use? Do they have a website? I like the idea and would have lots of raw materials basically for free up here. I am looking onto future business opportunities. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW ED View Post
Tell me more about this topsoil sales place. What is the process they use? Do they have a website? I like the idea and would have lots of raw materials basically for free up here. I am looking onto future business opportunities. Thanks.
I have 2 in my general area I'll describe the one I use for you. They lease about 10-12 acres and have permits to run a recycling yard. They have 10 dump trucks 8 are tri axles so they deliver. They have 2 skid steers an excavator and two 5 yard pay loaders then they have the screeners and one large 18 wheeler version of a tub grinder. They sell top soil mulch and rocks some sand and pavers and such. But where they make their real money is the 100000 yards of leaves and grass they compost each year then add in the wood chips. If you chip them they are free if they have to they charge 10 a yard then they dye them and sell colored mulch for like 28 a yard. The premium mulches they import same with the rocks but all soil is made on site. If I had to ball park it id say 1.5-2.5 million a year business. And 10 k a year of that comes from just me half from mulch and soil and half from dumping its sad I get to buy it back in a few years. Not sure if you have these types of business's in your are but you should its nice to pay by the yard and not by the pound for dumping.